Options

Losing focus...

Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know a lot of people posting here are new to the field or in their first years of their careers. My perspective is from further down the road :)

I have 23 years experience, just turned 44 recently. I am ambitious, considerably skilled and have always enjoyed my work. I have never really specialized in anything, being more of a generalist. I decided last year to focus more on VMware technologies, and I studied to pass the VCAP5-DCD. Next step, the VCAP5-DCA. However, as a consultant, my job takes me from one technology to the next. Kind of hard to study vmware when you spend your days in Microsoft technologies... I just went back to an old client to do some telecom stuff for them (MPLS migration) and now I'm thinking of working on renewing my CCNP. Can't focus on one thing! And in the middle of all this, I am looking for a new job (like everybody, I want more money, employers that care, etc...)

It never gets easier guys...
Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Isn't that just part of the joy of life though icon_wink.gif

At 46, I have enjoyed all the varied experiences with different technologies. I've been fortunate to see the rise of the personal computer, the internet, and mobile technologies. I think that if I had specialized in some niche, I would have missed out on having the opportunity to have exposure to the changes with technology. I personally don't think of it as getting easier, rather just getting more interesting :).
  • Options
    Agreed. However, as an "employed" consultant (vs self-employed), I find that there is no way to advance career wise... You're a consultant and that's it. So I find myself contemplating self-employment (higher salary but no benefits) or specializing to justify a higher salary. But then, as I notice more and more, my generalist background makes it real hard to find and focus on one technology to specialize in... You also have to read a crystal ball and figure out which one will persist the longest to make the time and effort worthwhile.
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Tbh, that sounds like a dream job for me. The all-rounder, generalist type. I know there's probably more money and respect in specialization but something about getting birds eye view of various technologies and how they correlate together sounds exciting.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Agreed. However, as an "employed" consultant (vs self-employed), I find that there is no way to advance career wise... You're a consultant and that's it. So I find myself contemplating self-employment (higher salary but no benefits) or specializing to justify a higher salary. But then, as I notice more and more, my generalist background makes it real hard to find and focus on one technology to specialize in... You also have to read a crystal ball and figure out which one will persist the longest to make the time and effort worthwhile.

Honestly if you having a issue focusing, why not devote time to researching and reading books that train you on how to focus? If you have an issue with a personality quirk(lil things we wish we were better at but say we have no control over,) there are usually a ton of help books out there...I tell my wife all the time (Not a good public speaker) well, if you know you are horrible, then do something about it, you don't have to become the best, but you can train yourself to be serviceable. Speak in the mirror, speak to me, read books, work on enunciation, record yourself, start speaking to your sisters, then maybe family... build it up!

Same way you would train yourself in what ever "focused" field you would get into, you also have to train your brain/mind/personality to more efficiently allow for you to succeed.

Before my first management job, i did a ton of research on dealing with stress, as I knew mine would sky-rocket... lead me to meditation... I got about 2 books on meditation and dialogued with a good friend that actually runs a mind health center, that focuses on yoga, and breathing and meditation... and it has done wonders for my ability to handle stressful situations and put a priority on the things that matter (what i can control.)

Just an option! Sometimes we focus to much on the technical and not enough on developing our skills as humans as well.
  • Options
    Params7 wrote: »
    Tbh, that sounds like a dream job for me. The all-rounder, generalist type. I know there's probably more money and respect in specialization but something about getting birds eye view of various technologies and how they correlate together sounds exciting.

Agreed, and that's what I like about being a generalist. However, it becomes harder to keep up to date with everything, as technologies are becoming more and more complex and intertwined (virtualization, networking, storage, servers, desktops, etc...). That's also one reason why I'm thinking of specializing...
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed, and that's what I like about being a generalist. However, it becomes harder to keep up to date with everything, as technologies are becoming more and more complex and intertwined (virtualization, networking, storage, servers, desktops, etc...). That's also one reason why I'm thinking of specializing...

Yep, you definitely need to focus on a particular area. I got burned out doing Network/Desktop Support for a large call center a decade ago. I learned from this experience that I absolutely need to focus on a few areas to avoid burnout and because as humans we have limited time on our hands.

Right now I'm focusing on Network Security/Linux and Cisco because these interest me and intertwine. However come 1 years time I will have to make the decision whether I want to do Security or Cisco/Network Engineering the next 5 years.

Where does your passion lie?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generalist was great back in the day where you were called System Administrator and did "I.T". I worked on Windows, Linux a bit and VMware, where all you had was a host or two and a basic vCenter at a push.

Now look at it. Even as triple VCP I probably don't know 50% of the products VMware is selling. Or Microsoft ... Not better. Trying to keep up with all of it just burns you out in no time.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly if you having a issue focusing, why not devote time to researching and reading books that train you on how to focus?

I loved this response. It sounds a lot less like you are losing focus and a lot more like you are losing ambition. Take some time to really think about what you are feeling. Someone who is ambitious about a change will likely work on xyz all day but really look forward to getting home to pick up on what they really want to be focusing on.

Once you find something that interests you I don't think you will have as much of a problem with focusing on it.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Definitely not losing ambition... What I mean by focus is basically I'm not sure what to specialize in, one day I want to go all out on VMware, the next, Cisco, the maybe Exchange, etc... My generalist background makes it hard to stick to one field of interest and I am indeed burning myself out (mentally and physically) trying to move further ahead in my career. I passed the VMware DCD earlier this spring, with a goal of doing DCA this summer. Then they release the 5.5 exams, and 6.0 is on the horizon, and they have expiration dates on the certifications now on top of it. Makes it hard to want to certify on "legacy" versions when newer ones are out.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    So what I think I hear you saying is that you're looking for a focus, but you're having a hard time selecting a path. As a consultant, you're moving from technology to technology fairly freqently, VMWare one day, Exchange another. Have you thought about moving from consulting to contracting? Most of the big name IT consulting companies employ specific lines of service that specialize in a single technolgy area (Unix, Windows, Security, Networking, VOIP, etc.) As far as what path to follow, on you can answer that.