Options

Is this normal? Anyone have any tips to get motivated for studying for certs?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Is this normal? Anyone have any tips to get motivated for studying for certs?

I used to work in manufacturing and I was always studying for certifications.

Fast forward to today..

I work in IT and things break all day long.

I like working on computers, but after work I just want to hit the gym, go to sleep, or go for a bike ride.

I try to get excited about studying for certs, but after working 8 hours on computer all day, the last thing I want to do is study for
certifications.

I have been studying for the 70-640 on and off, but I lack motivation.

Anyone have any tips to so that I can get motivated for studying for certs?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Try going to bed early and then studying two hours every morning instead of after work.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @OP

Nothing wrong with that sounds pretty normally to me.

You want to workout after words and stay in good shape. That is > certs
    You are tired and want to decompress from a tough day. Mental health is > certs
    You had the motivation to get into the industry and so you blasted away at certifications that is normal for A LOT of people.

I wouldn't beat yourself over it and I sure wouldn't over think it.

Enjoy your Bike rides and workout sessions.

Keep working at 680 if you get there you get there if you don't I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I used to work in manufacturing and I was always studying for certifications.

In this case, you had a goal, to work in IT, instead of manufacturing. That appears to be why you studied.
    I work in IT and things break all day long.

I would recommend that you figure out ways to fix your biggest issues or at the least to automate their fixes (permanent fixes are preferred, but sometimes cost $$ that won't be spent.) You might find that this frees up more time to progress at your studies during the workday, while also providing skills you can use throughout your career.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have to make up your mind to study at least on most days. Everybody's had times when even after a long tiring day, they still have to study. If you don't feel like it, then it's either you're going to find a reason to feel like it, or just forget about it. If you have exams to write, you don't get to overindulge in other things and say "I don't feel like studying" because you will fail.

You have to have a strict but realistic schedule for your evenings. You don't need to go to a gym, exercise at home and save time, and just watch how much you eat. Set a specific time to start studying and stick to it. Make time for an hour of TV everyday but no more than that. The question is, what are you even watching on TV and for how long? Is it useful or just typical mindless entertainment? Time to reevaluate. It's up to you in the end.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At this point, my only motivation for new certs is to either make more money, or to separate me from others when job hunting. Of course, I enjoy learning, and I constantly look at new material all the time, but obtaining a new cert is not something I enjoy doing. I make sure that I have an interest in the subject as well, I would not go out for some SQL cert, even if it would mean much more money for me, because I don't have the same interest in it that I have for vSphere and Windows technologies.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    @NetworkingStudent, I have a similar day to you. As soon as I go home I hit the gym or do something active, then I come home, eat dinner, and it's after this time that I enjoy studying and just winding down in general. Since you're studying for the 70-640, make sure you are labbing because labbing is one of the funnest things you can do! Build stuff, tear it down, break it, fix it...do everything. Do things that you might not be able to do in the workplace.

Also, strive for that MCSA. Then, take one more test (70-417) and you'll have 2 MCSA's listed on your resume! You'll look like a badass and people will be clawing at your heels (note: from personal experience icon_wink.gif )
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I just schedule the exam a couple months ahead so that I don't have a choice but to study.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^ This. Shelling out the big bucks will make you focus.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A method that I use is constant exposure while doing this I normally would do. The easiest way to do this is through videos like CBT NUGGETS, PLURALSIGHT/TRANSIGNAL, Professor Messer, etc. You don't have to watch them, but listen to them. During my commute to work or class, I mount my phone to my windshield and bluetooth the sound through my car speakers. When I jog, I play videos and listen to them. When I eat, I connect my laptop to my TV and watch.

I understand that some things need to be visual, which is why I have my first exposure to a video while I eat. Then repeatedly play it (mainly listening not watching) while doing tasks that I need to do during the day, while getting ready in the morning, commuting, exercising, etc. It mainly is something that you have watched before, but you are enforcing it to memory by listening and visualizing you recall watching. I may watch it again during another eating session to visually see anything again. I have done with every certification that I tested for. When I do not have the to time to sit down and study the material, I expose myself to the material constantly while doing tasks that I would normally either do in silence or listen to music while doing it.

This was highly effective during my CCNA studies since I played a video topic and then spent my day constantly listening to it. I've watched/listened CBT NUGGETS and Christ Bryant CCNA videos as least 3 times each and was almost able to rehearse what was said at times by the 4th time or pick up things easier when I had time to lab and read.

NOTE: Also highly annoying to passengers during a commute! icon_lol.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.