Help needed with a database I need to make.

kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all. I'm trying to map out a plan for a database I'm creating with Access. I'm doing shared folder permissions auditing at my company, and I need to create a central repository for my collected data. Here is what I'm collecting:

Server Name
Server File Share Name
Permissions attached to the Server File Shares

I want to be able to create a form with options to enter the three items above for each individual server, and query the data when needed. I mainly want to query a particular permission, and see what server files shares contain that permission.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the best way to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
Courses:
Done!!!

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Step 1

Build your database, sounds like you can use one table to capture all your data. Name your fields and make sure you data type are set to a useable format. I would recommend short text or some text field since it doesn’t sound like you’ll be performing any serious computations.

Step 2

After you build your table save it and close out of it. Go to Create, then go to Form Wizard here you can select the fields you want to carry over into the form. It will drop a form and auto connect it to your database. It will look generic but you will be able to modify the field sizes font etc.

Step 3

Go to Create again and select Query Wizard. Here you can build a simple query, once you go through the Wizard you can select the field or fields you want to capture in the query. You can then go to modify query and do you criteria in the grid which also allows or statements. Once you build the query you can save it. It will be present in your objects and you can double click and it will produce the results. You can then export to Excel or whatever to report on that information. ***I hate Access Reports

This hopefully will get you started.

The Database can sit on a network drive and be accessible to multiple users

Don’t forget to go into controls to make modifications. You can remove formatting off all fields and buttons.

For instance I just built this database in 15 minutes. Built the table, built the form and then modified the form to remove weird scroll bars on the text fields and then added navigation buttons and removed the nav buttons from the very bottom of the field.

Hit me up and I can sent it to you for a prototype and then I can make modifications to meet your needs. You can take it from there. ***That’s if you want.
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You rock man. The major problem that I'm running into is the permissions. I can't figure out how I can attach x number of permissions to a file share in the database. For instance:

Let say I have this file share,

//serverName/shareName
    Permission1
    Permission2
    Permission3
    Permission4
    Permission5

How can I make sure that these permissions will be attached to the file share in the database? Also, whats the best way to handle this with multiple permissions for each share? Not to mention, some shares will possibly share the same permissions as others. How isthe data not mixed up in the data base?
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just to make sure I follow.

The permissions are captured together and you want to break them apart in their own seperate fields. Server 1 maybe have permission 1 , 2 and then server 2 might have 6 sets of permissions and you want to capture this individually?

This database is strictly for tracking information?

How many sets of permissions do you have? Do you have a semi static list?
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is correct. The thing is, some file shares may have 3 - 5 permissions, while others may have more than 10 permissions.
    Courses:
    Done!!!