Options

Completed SSCP online course but not ready for the exam, in need of suggestions.

rickberrrickberr Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just completed the online SSCP course and am a little frustrated because I am still not ready to take the SSCP exam.

A little background, I am trying to enter the security field as I have been working in web server operations and EDI/B2B for the last 7 years. Of the people in my class, I think I am the only one that was not already in the security industry so I felt like I was playing catch-up the whole time. One classmate was already an CISSP which didn't help because he knew everything and would answer questions within 1-2 seconds while I had to focus on each question/answer choice.

Based off that fact, I have purchased multiple resources, the Shon Harris AIO CISSP book, the official ISC2 SSCP book and am using free resources such as the CCCure practice tests but I feel like I may be spreading myself too thin.

Has anyone else taken the online course and felt ready once the course was finished? Is is true that the CCCure questions are based on the older version of the official guide?

When I take practice tests I pass them but usually with a low "B" or high "C." Cryptography is my Achilles heel so I have been spending extra time there since that practice test is the most difficult.

Can anyone suggest which resource I should "focus" on going forward. BTW, I still have access to the recorded sessions so I am going back through the course again.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Arnie335Arnie335 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rickberr wrote: »
    I just completed the online SSCP course and am a little frustrated because I am still not ready to take the SSCP exam.

A little background, I am trying to enter the security field as I have been working in web server operations and EDI/B2B for the last 7 years. Of the people in my class, I think I am the only one that was not already in the security industry so I felt like I was playing catch-up the whole time. One classmate was already an CISSP which didn't help because he knew everything and would answer questions within 1-2 seconds while I had to focus on each question/answer choice.

Based off that fact, I have purchased multiple resources, the Shon Harris AIO CISSP book, the official ISC2 SSCP book and am using free resources such as the CCCure practice tests but I feel like I may be spreading myself too thin.

Has anyone else taken the online course and felt ready once the course was finished? Is is true that the CCCure questions are based on the older version of the official guide?

When I take practice tests I pass them but usually with a low "B" or high "C." Cryptography is my Achilles heel so I have been spending extra time there since that practice test is the most difficult.

Can anyone suggest which resource I should "focus" on going forward. BTW, I still have access to the recorded sessions so I am going back through the course again.

Thanks in advance.

Hello there! I've spent a lot of time reading here and although I haven't taken my test yet (scheduled for 7/3) I can tell you that each and every resource encompasses different items and places emphasis differently. There are many to choose from but remember this is subjective (like Qualitative analysis :)) and a lot of users already have a good understanding of these topics.

It seems the majority of SSCPs have used multiple resources and not just one master ALL IN ONE. I made the mistake of only using the Darril Gibson AIO solely (this last week I've used EVERYTHING else I can find) - which is a great book BUT if you have taken any practice tests on CCCure, you can see that Darill missed a few topics and barely touched on others.

With that said, take your time and use as many resources as you can:

ISC CBK
    Darrill Gibson's AIO (so far many people seem to love this one)
    CCCure Free Practice Tests
    ISC2 StudyISCope Practice tests (not free)
    Google
    CBT Nuggets

StudyISCope is great because it will help identify weak domains and that way you can tailor your study habits towards those domains.

Hope this helps and good luck brother!
  • Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the response. I will be contacting my ISC2 consultant regarding StudISCope access to begin the next phase of my exam preparation. Good luck on your exam today.
  • Options
    khiemkpkhiemkp Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Arnie335Arnie335 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the exam today! I highly recommend the StudyISCope stuff if you can afford it. A cheaper and similar alternative is the iPhone ISC(2) app. There are 4 different SSCP practice tests with 25 questions each. $5 bucks each test and a free 10 question test.

So essentially you can pay $20 for 100 questions or $109 for 150 web based questions. The $109 does have some cool features like pinpointing your weakest domains and recommending items to study. I did both and this helped a lot.

The free CCCure practice questions were also helpful. I took 40 of them free practice tests then was told I reached my limit of free tests :)
  • Options
    jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, @Arnie335! How did you find the exam? Would you say it was difficult, were the questions clear and unambiguous? Did you find the questions were memory-based or concept/process-based?

@rickberr - I'm currently studying for SSCP and I'm using Darril Gibson's AIO book (on my third read through) as well as referring to my CISSP resources, Googling and YouTube. However, what is useful is some of Professor Messer's Security+ and Network+ videos on YouTube. Sure, Security+ is simpler than SSCP, and Network+ is aimed for entry-level networking, but both do help to provide a clear refresher on concepts you may struggle to recall. For example, IPSec has always been a difficult one for me to get my head around (and remember!), so one of the Network+ videos he recorded really helps. Also on YouTube, CBT Nuggets (the premium training provider) do give a whole bunch of "Micro Nuggets" away for free, many of which I've found helpful in explaining concepts (such as Kerberos).

Despite all my studying (and 4 more weeks of it to go), I still don't feel anywhere near ready either. I've learned (and re-learned) so much in the last 3 weeks, but I'm having difficulty retaining it all. So I'm hoping that the questions will target my experience and understanding (rather than memory).
  • Options
    RiKi1861RiKi1861 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Rick, I recently passed SSCP (I've opted for assoc status, but that's another story). Like Arnie, I found the OG and Studyscope to be real game changer's, as they forced me to focus on my weak areas.

Booking an exam date also helped me focus, and gave me something tangible to work towards, but I would only recommend that if you know you can address your weakness's before you step into the exam room.
    Good Luck ( nearly forgot to recommend this forum for it's wealth of knowledge, but then again you are here, so you already know that! )
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Only two years of experience at the time I took SSCP. My only study sources were ISC CBK,
    Darrill Gibson's AIO, and CCCure practice questions. I took it coming right off of Security+ which I think helped as well. Good luck.
  • Options
    All, I apologize as I forgot to come back to this article to provide an update. I really appreciate all the information everyone provided. I took the exam in August and I passed the exam. I also have completed the endorsement process and received my packet (ID card, etc.) earlier this week. I am really excited and hungry to learn and do more. I am interesting in sitting for the CCNA Security, the CEH and the CISSP in the coming years. I already have study materials for the CISSP so I may tackle that beast first. Thanks again everyone.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Rickberr,

What did you actually use for passing the exam?
  • Options
    MillhouseManaStormMillhouseManaStorm Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Darrill Gibson's SSCP All In One (AIO) Book. That with studying for Security+ at the same time was pretty much sufficient for me. Darrill's Security+ book is a good additional book for prep.
  • Options
    nawanisnawanis Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Practice practice practice questions. Mantra for passing.
  • Options
    I apologize, I am not sure if I ever replied to your post. I used the Official ISC2 items (SSCP student handbook and StudiScope practice exams.)