just a nerd emo post.

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
icon_redface.gif - Kind of nerding out over here. it's this new Sandy-bridge based R610 with Dual Xeon's (HT); The 6 300GB VelocoRaptor Enterprise drives arrived yesterday from ebay. Going to make 2 approx 540 GB volumes for a primary ESXi 5.5 or 6.0 host. :) - I have 32 GB's of RAM waiting for it too.

Once done I'll have 5 servers now. I swear if after VCP/CCNA if I can't learn and pass the MCSA this time around I'm going to be super-pissed last time I tried to do the 70-640 study with one server and failed the exam. My hopes now it to have a lab with 5 servers, 5 2600's, and 3 1721's I should be able to make 5 virtual domains in one rack and be able to pass the exam this time around...

I can't wait to unbox it later tonight.... there goes my CCENT study for the night...

Comments

• devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got burned after failing the 70-680 THREE TIMES. No more Microsoft exams for this guy.

I passed my 100-101 and 200-101 on the first try for each. My degree is in networking, so I think I'll stick to networking. But I'm kinda jealous. I was trying to pick up an old file server that our school was retiring, but I think my boss has decided to re-purpose it. icon_sad.gif
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I got burned after failing the 70-680 THREE TIMES. No more Microsoft exams for this guy.

I passed my 100-101 and 200-101 on the first try for each. My degree is in networking, so I think I'll stick to networking. But I'm kinda jealous. I was trying to pick up an old file server that our school was retiring, but I think my boss has decided to re-purpose it. icon_sad.gif

You can find Dell PowerEdge GEN III Dual Xeon's (non-HT) for about $180-220 on ebay. - have two of them at home, they are power-houses and work great in esxi 5.1

If I told you I bought this off ebay last Friday for $280 would you hate me? ... that's what I paid. The 300 GB VelocoRaptor 15k Enterprise-grade drives were $45 each so I bought 6 of them. Going to make (2) RAID 5's. I have 26 GB's of RAM at home waiting for it, I only brought in 6 GB's this morning with 3 drives just to get her rolling.

I have ESXi 5.1 from someplace (cough) and I have a Technet for the Microsoft keys. :)

here is the server from Lunch, for some reason it ships faster to my work than to my house, I set up the server on my lunch break....

• swellbowswellbow Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    my workplace banned smartphones, now i can't ssh into my linux box at home during downtime.

mood: apathetic
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My company would shoot themselves into the foot if they'd ban smartphones - given they want us to be available 24/7 and be able to fix stuff .. Was rebooting an ESXI host on the train once - not gonna happen with a Nokia 6110 ;)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I guess I'm lucky. If they want us to work on the go they provide us the phone, the laptop, and the vpn.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    ooo ya... progress....

now to enable vMotion I need to configure a vMotion switch between the R610's. :) ... good thing I got a PowerConnect 6224 in the closet.

I really need to get a rack, my second desk is look like a ghetto rack from the projects...

• tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I really need to get a rack, my second desk is look like a ghetto rack from the projects...
    I'm not sure there are racks in the projects. Unless in this particular situation you are personifying the rack and saying it came from humble beginnings, then perhaps it flies.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2