Options

Taking notes- Preferenes?

Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
Wanted to get a thread going on some preferences for note-taking.

I used to use Google Docs where I had a long word document with a table of contents that let me jump between major sections, but recently I started using the tool Evernote which lets you tag notes and do some more elaborate formatting. I actually don't like the GUI for Evernote all that much but it gets the job done and I get to keep my notes centralized.

I add to these notes from any study source and try to add footers with source links to Cisco documentation or videos on some notes when possible.

Do you guys have any recommendations for note taking, whether it is a tool or just a methodology that you prefer to use?
Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University

Comments

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    By hand, pen and paper. For me, this really helps me retain whatever it is I'm taking notes about.
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my PC I use Zim. In Android, Google Keep.
  • Options
    rocdamikerocdamike Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Microsoft Word using tables (no visible borders) works really well for taking notes, I find.
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    OneNote all the way. Preferably with a tablet that has an active (Wacom or N-Trig) digitizer so you can digitally ink.
  • Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Evernote Web or Evernote Touch app.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    vi and plain old text files.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I use a wiki - specifically MoinMoin. I tend to jump from topic to topic so I find that a wiki is a great way to centralize certain thoughts and concepts. It's also a good way for me to keep track of other items which I can then share.
  • Options
    country28341country28341 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used paper and pencil and I highlighted texts in books as well.
  • Options
    sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been hooked on to Evernote, ever since I installed their Windows application :)
  • Options
    DefiledDefiled Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I always take notes in a book and highlight important information in the book.

Regarding the note taking in a book, I usually get a plain A4 book, usually conference standard with margins, the important chunks of information are usually written in the main body of the book and any additional information (such as commands) are written in the margins.. E.g. I'd have a page dedicated to OSPF and the configuration commands for OSPF will be written in the margins. I used this exact same method for the majority of my school qualifications.. Works like an absolute charm for me

The first few pages of the notebook are usually dedicated to the exam objectives, I have the exam objectives printed on a separate piece of paper and stapled to the first few pages of the book..

Then on top of that I have a folder for each exam with relevant documents to aid in gaining the certificate such as the ones provided on CLN/P
    Current:
    National Diploma | I.T (Systems Support & Networking)
    Working Towards:
    CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate | Routing & Switching | Security
    BSc (Hons) Computer Networks (Management | Security)