Options

ICND1 Wendell Odom book

monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I went to Barnes and Nobel last night to check out this book and noticed that this has 30 chapters, my biggest concern is do i need to know all of this stuff front to back? is there some stuff that i can "skip," I have my network+ so i know the fundamentals of networking already.

if anyone used this before is there a main portion i should be focusing on?(i know this depends on how much the individual knows). I definitely don't want to retain too much information and focus on the stuff that won't be on the exam.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    I used Lammle's CCNA guide because is has material for both tests , and yes, you should read it front to back. I have a Network + as well 10+ years experience, and I still read it because there are many Cisco specific topics material that will be covered.

For ICND1, make sure you have a firm grasp on subnetting. This is vital for anyone getting into the Networking field, and the test will assume you know subnetting because they will ask you questions that you will require you to know a Network and Broadcast ID, as well as block sizes, and you will need good subnetting skills before you even answer the actual question. Some questions have questions within the question and they expect you to know when you see this.

Next, you need to really know how the packets travel and how the routing protocols work. So studying the whole book is a must. Don't skip anything even if you think you know it.

Good Luck!
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    Awesome, thank you for the feedback, definitely good to know
  • Options
    dimeifieddimeified Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got my net+ (using exam cram and prof messer), then started into WO ICND1 for CCNA. I'm up to chapter 10, and i've been taking notes on pretty much everything i read. While there is overlap, i see net+ as a wide shallow scope, while CCNA is more of a narrow very deep scope covering routing and switching. I wouldn't skip anything if i were you. Even the material that does overlap, WO has alternative explanations that help to reinforce some of the net+ stuff. Truth be told, while i havn't come across any topic in the WO book that is beyond my understanding, it is a long read, I doubt taking any shortcuts will be to your advantage, just my 2cents.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I prefer ebooks due to the ability to cut and paste. Till this day I can't believe I read both books INcd1 and INcd2 close to 2000 pages inside 6 months.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Lammle's book goes into less detail in my opinion and was hard for me to read due to his writing style. I got Odom's book and found that even the it is much longer, I can follow it much better.

Even things as simple as the output of a commands bothered my on Lammle's..

Also, the price of books at my BN was like 40, whereas you can buy it from BN.com for 25...I just get my stuff from Amazon using prime.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    Thank you everyone, I am taking notes on everything i read and also following along the CBT nuggets videos, very informative

Thanks again!!