Options

Renewing my CCNA

shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am looking to renew my CCNA certification by taking the 200-120 exam. I previously took and passed the 640-801 years ago but it has since expired. Has anyone else taken the 200-120 exam that has taken a previous CCNA exam? How long did it take you to prepare, refresh on material, and learn newly added objectives? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    I took the old CCNA back in 2003, and there is much more material in the newer exams. I recently took the 2 new tests. More material on WAN and FRAME RELAY, OSPF, and EIGRP. RIP is still covered, but not important anymore. Just know the differences and the negative aspects. IPV6 is also in the material, although wasn't on the test to much. VLSM and Subnetting is as big as before. Also, NETFLOW and SNMP is covered way more.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Vinny. Did you feel it was very beneficial to take it in the 2 exam format? Did you take the single exam format in 2003?
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    You could only take a single exam in 2003 and it was all multiple choice. The new tests are a combination of multiple choice, drag and drop, and real lab simulations. I feel this is a better test of ability to see if you really understand the concepts rather than memorizing facts and taking a multiple choice question.

As far as the 1 test vs the 2 test route: I took the 2 test route because I really wanted to focus on the concepts they were teaching for each section and test myself accordingly. In the end, it is about preference. But studying all the info will be a task. There is way more subjects to cram into your brain. Some of the stuff on ICND2 used to be part of the old CCNP Route exam. So, if you can put all that stuff in and take the test, go for it. People have done it. It is not impossible. I preferred the 2 test route, and enjoyed it better. I felt I retained it better. The tests are not easy. But, it is very rewarding to pass both tests with high scores. I aced ICND2 with 1000.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    Very nice on the 1000! They offered it in 2 tests I believe when I took it in 2007. The CCENT was available then anyway. It was a format like you were describing with Sims, drag and drop, etc. I ended up passing then with a 906. I'm going to keep reading the lammle book and see how it goes. I may end up splitting this time because it does seem to cover a lot and I have less time to study now than I did then.