Putty problems

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have been toying with getting my prolific (trendnet) USB to serial adapter working for an hour, I finally got it to play nice with my laptop...but now I cant get putty to do anything other than deliver a "ding" every time I click open.

In putty I have changed all of the necessary pieces found under the "serial" section including the correct COM port (which changes every time I reboot). I have uninstalled/re-installed it, run it as admin and googled this for about 30 minutes.

Any ideas here?

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Doesn't sound like a putty problem, it's that dongle! You can call it an adapter, but I relish the opportunity to say the word 'dongle'.

Can you buy another one that uses a different driver? Try using it in linux with screen? Have you tried running it through as 'COM1', then 'COM2', and on?

If you choose to buy another one, shop carefully. These adapters are not all created equally. If your choice OS is Windows, you need an adapter that is known to run well under windows.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I use a Trendnet TU S9 on multiple devices almost daily, and it's rock solid. Works fine in Windows as well.

Which one do you have? It's probably an OS / app issue...
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am using the tu s9 as well. I can see it in the device manager. I have tried com1 through com15, no dice.
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use 8+ cheap chinese ones and they never cause me problems, are you sure you're USB port is working correctly?

Try using a secureCRT trial and see if you can make a connection
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    xnx wrote: »
    I use 8+ cheap chinese ones and they never cause me problems, are you sure you're USB port is working correctly?

Try using a secureCRT trial and see if you can make a connection

As far as the device manager goes, yes the USB port looks good. I normally use this port for the blue tooth mouse dongle.

Ill try secureCRT tonight, thanks for the idea.