Is this job worth my time(step stone)/POS Help Desk & installation

ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I want to become a Network Engineer or System Administrator for a large company like Edwards Jones for example. I am currently studying for my Network Engineering degree which includes CCNA and MCSA 2008 classes. I am currently A+ certified and passed my 70-680.

I will go from 30k a year right now (not IT field) to 40k if I make the switch to the following job
[h=1]SERVICE & SUPPORT TECHNICIAN[/h]You will be able to support all POS and Back Office systems, by a combination of LIVE HELP DESK & REMOTE CONNECTION (primarily, 90% of the time), and SITE VISIT in the field (secondarily, 10% of the time). Your system support will include primarily SOFTWARE Applications and Databases, as well as Operating Systems. Next important is the research of software issues, followed by network communication problem solving, and lastly hardware repair (in the field or in-shop). Hardware repair primarily includes POS terminals, all types of printers, cash drawers, magnetic card readers, scanners, scales, and all other POS peripherals, as well as Servers and some PCs.

Will this job help me land a job as a systems administrator once I finish my associates degree and MCSA 2008 cert? I will have to go from support only to actually installing all software including Windows server/7 and setting up the server and clients. Maybe some router configuration and switch configuration as well.

Is there a huge difference in dealing with POS installations/support over desktop support/sysadmin.

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So you have no IT experience and they are offering you a support position with a 10K raise... where is the question?

Really though, you aren't going to get job as a system admin without a fair bit of IT experience, you have to start somewhere. With this job you'll do POS stuff but also some PC and server support, looks good to me.
  • swellbowswellbow Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Of course it is! Why would you want to make 30k non-IT vs. 40k IT?
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honest question, why are you debating it? You'd be getting a 33% raise and IT experience.
  • ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking about applying to a desktop help desk job not POS support. I would feel like coming from desktop help desk role would directly lead to a nice transition to sys admin vs coming from a POS support/install division.

thx for the help I will move forward on this job!
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whether you can go directly to a sysadmin job really depends on the company, your interview skills, etc. Most people have to take a few steps in their career to get to their ultimate goal. This job looks like a good step and compared to a non-IT job it'll look worlds better on your resume.
  • itsmianitsmian Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to be a little biased here. I worked in POS installation for around 2 years before grabbing my current position.

I am going to say, you will learn a lot. A lot of valuable skills.

My story - I was a Unix Administrator / Data Center Operations, and since we worked shifts, and I can't say no to money. I took a side job doing POS / Store Systems installs around 2 years ago. I worked compressed shifts, so the time off was great. Now, I went around, made a few dollars (around 21), and just did some installs / some POS configurations, etc. Around 7 months later, I became a lead technician, managing store installations and directing a team of just one person, to fifteen people. It was a good bit of fun, made lots of contacts, managed to get a few dollars more.

Fast forward, a few months. I move (for a variety of reasons.). Next thing you know, I am full time on the back end. Actually doing Windows Server Builds / DB Builds and apart of a project to switch over 1000 stores to new POS OS, new workstations, new printers, and a new DB System. I am in the backroom, managing normally one store a day for minor projects, and doing two stores a weekend for the DB Cut over or OS Upgrade. I'm also making about 30% more than before. Close to my old day job's rate.

I learned, a hell of a lot in that time. Just as much as I did running a MQ Plant for a major financial institution, or working for any of the other big names on my resume.

Now, a year later, I am in charge of deployments across NA for a company, and I am a SME in terms of Deployment Management. Not bad for a Unix type who was hitting his career ceiling (I don't fit the stereotype.). I also make good money, and work in probably an ideal culture.

With that being said, the lessons I learned:

- Technical
    Embedded Systems. (PINPADs / Printers / Timecard Devices / Video walls). I learned a good bit about all these work.
    Point of Sale Systems. (Most Point of Sale systems are just a PC, with a custom image of Windows on it, running a set of software. 90% of the break fix support is actually the same as a PC, just different devices plugged in.)
    DB and how stores work. Modern stores, are high tech environments, everything is networked. I know of grocery stores I've worked in, with close to 20 workstations, 2 large scale printers, 10 small scale printers, and close to 38 POS machines. Not to mention the dual host server rack with dual storage arrays in the back.

- Non Technical (The golden.)
    This is where I learned the most. I learned how to write documentation, lots of it. I learned how to write processes for the field.
    I learned about managing people during events. (I have a leadership background, however learning how to run multiple stores and co-coordinating multiple teams was fun.)
    I learned about the importance of logistics. I learned how critical they are.
    I learned what not to do. How not to run deployments.
    I learned a good bit about lab testing and how critically important it was.
    I was able to apply some ITSM principles.
    I got paid to drive around (I love driving), and visit places for free, when I was in the field.
    I was able to hang around with some non technical people for a change. I wasn't working in a bomb proof building, or a converted call center.

All that and money too.

I've been a Systems Admin for around 5 years, Help desk for 2, and now Release and Deployment for 1 year.

A good Systems Administrator, isn't someone with a whole bunch of 'book-learnins'.
    A good Systems Administrator, is someone who can work through complexity.
    A good Systems Administrator, is someone who can deal with people. Who can deal with a Manager, or a Vice President.
    A good Systems Administrator, is someone who can deal with different environments.
    A good Systems Administrator, is someone who understands the importance of a Life cycle.
    A good Systems Administrator, is someone who can apply what they learned elsewhere.
    A good Systems Administrator, is someone who takes and excels and learning new things.
    A good Systems Administrator, is someone who has a good view of the entire world. It is far too easy to lock yourself in a box, and say this is the only thing that matters. My infrastructure is mine, and no-one else has any dependencies on me.

If you're looking at getting in the game. I would take that role, its a far better way than what I started. I started in a BPO call center doing Internet Support, followed by acting as a Team Lead. Before moving over to supporting Sun Microsystems.

I can go into some more detail, however I would say, its a real good place to start.