Regarding job requirements and preferred qualifications

BrowserzBrowserz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been looking around my area for a new job, and noticed that most jobs require 5 years of experience. Now, I know 5 years of experience isn't set in stone on the job listings are looking for, they just want someone who has some real world experience and not some kid right out of college. (at least that's what i've been told)

Well, I've found two very similar jobs at one company.

The first one says minimum of 5 years of professional IT experience, but hands on experience with databases is a plus, and scripting with UNIX is also a plus.

The second one says minimum of 3 years of experience, and application security administration.

I have 2 years of experience now and have some hands on experience with databases and know some scripting with UNIX. I don't have any experience with application security administration though.

I want to apply for one of these jobs, but don't know which one I should apply for. Should I apply for both? or would it give off the wrong message and make it seem like I'm applying for every position?

Am I aiming too high and should just stick to stuff I fully qualify for?

Comments

• tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I've always been confused about what to do when companies have multiple listings. I know at my company once you apply for one position, your resume is looked at, and the recruiter mentally analyzes where this candidate may fit. So virtually, once you apply for one position, you apply to all of them. I know not all companies work like this. When I am applying, I apply to every one I want, even the ones I'm (seemingly) unqualified for. I would be less concerned about pestering a hiring manager than not being considered at all. Keep in mind, these people get paid to look at resumes. By going to them, you are saving them from having to scour job boards and blast out emails to everyone in their database. When in doubt, apply.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2