CCNA income from indeed.com broken down by state and city

snosno Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
It seems like the CCNA is one of the most popular certs on here, so I thought it might interest folks to see how much states and larger cities tend to pay someone with a CCNA. The data is mostly from indeed.com, so I guess it reflects job postings more so than actual income, but I don’t think there is a data set with more accurate information.
The graph is here:
Cisco CCNA Salary Report
I was very surprised to see Hawaii at the bottom of the state chart.

Comments

• ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sno wrote: »
    It seems like the CCNA is one of the most popular certs on here, so I thought it might interest folks to see how much states and larger cities tend to pay someone with a CCNA. The data is mostly from indeed.com, so I guess it reflects job postings more so than actual income, but I don’t think there is a data set with more accurate information.
    The graph is here:
    Cisco CCNA Salary Report
    I was very surprised to see Hawaii at the bottom of the state chart.

As you will come to learn from more time here.... charts like that are absolutely worthless and not something to use at all for a good picture of what pay is like for a certification. I used to stare at stuff like that until the wee hours of the night.. literally.. could have probably gotten CCNA: Voice with as many hours as I did going over all the mess out there.

Experience rules all. And if Experience not on a graph... it's not realistic.

P.S. In most cases the only reason anyone will Hire you because you have a CCNA is because it shows that you are interested in continuing your education, or they are a Cisco Partner and benefit from it, but they won't be hiring a CCNA to do any Network Administrating, or Engineering at all. You will need significant skills and the CCNA will have to be just a complimentary piece to even sniff at those positions. Anything else is an outlier, and should not be depended on for a realistic estimation of what one should expect.. especially with those highly skewed salaries because most CCIE's have a CCNA- All CCNP's have a CCNA... and so on... The average is so high because by time salaries are high, you have went very deep into Cisco Certification, and CCNA receives artificial boost. On it's own.. you may fetch a 38,000-45,000 Help Desk-Desktop Support Job, until you have on job training with doing network stuff.
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm definitely pulling that average down. Way down. icon_sad.gif
  • djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Me as well. My coworker eloquently put it like this: "When you've got yourself a CCNP, then you can start coming to work with your pants unzipped and your dick hangin' out". He wasn't being mean about it, just realistic since he's been a network engineer (a real one) for decades.
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The salary average listed for my state (Texas) is right around what I make but I'm not in a true CCNA position.

I never really put stock into indeed.com's salary predictions/averages. Their listings and searches are great but every time I sort by salary, the listings are way off. The listing for the position I'm in came up under a salary listing that I wish was true icon_sad.gif
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I have no idea where they get this information... I'm from NoVA and while I know some CCNAs hitting the average mark here, without experience, you're closer to 50-55k. CCNPs can make upwards to 70-80k. CCIEs 100k+.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)