Options

Online school question...ECPI Anygood?

Buckeye222Buckeye222 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm looking at ECPI in regards to a BS in Network Security and unfortunately I cannot upload the document of the curriculum to this thread. It's looks pretty good and has a lot of cert's accompanied with it. Keeping in mind that I know you cannot see the course detail...is there any feedback that anyone can provide on their experience or hearsay on this school?

Network Security Degree - ECPI University

Thanks,

Robert

Comments

• Options
    It's a garbage school according to a lot of reviews.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    For profit but regionally accredited, so, better than nothing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Think I'm gonna pass on them. There was a class action lawsuit filed against them and just a lot of other headaches I don't even want to deal with..haha

I'm looking at

Bellvue now

Cybersecurity Degree - Bachelor of Science | Bellevue University

and Champlain

Online Cyber Security Degree | Champlain College

I'm also going to see if any credits transfer to these two schools from Iowa Central. It's really affordable and the classes all seem to coincide with my career goals of network/cyber security!

CNT Program Courses | Iowa Central Community College Online

A lot of good reviews out there for Iowa Central as well.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For a list of accredited schools, go to geteducated.com
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Don't forget that accreditation isn't the be all end all. Make sure that the school also has a decent reputation with employers. UoP, Ashford, Strayer, they all don't have the greatest perception with some folk. YMMV so choose wisely. In the end, it's really about what skills you obtain while pursuing the degree and how you display that in a real world setting.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Buckeye222 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking at ECPI in regards to a BS in Network Security and unfortunately I cannot upload the document of the curriculum to this thread. It's looks pretty good and has a lot of cert's accompanied with it. Keeping in mind that I know you cannot see the course detail...is there any feedback that anyone can provide on their experience or hearsay on this school?

Network Security Degree - ECPI University

Thanks,

Robert

I do not take ECPI classes online, but I do attend the actual campus. The school is a for-profit school, yet you are paying for a program that is accelerated. A 4 year program that can be completed in 2.5 years or less, depending on what credits transfer. I am pleased with the program and I have had a fantastic experience with the instructors. The classes that they provided me prepared me for most of the certifications that I have achieved and they try to motivate you in taking them.

I am not aware of any lawsuit or seeing anything that directly affected my program in any why. It is a computer science and information science program; most "garbage reviews" that I've read are rants by those that could not cut the program. I recall that my two network classes people did care to grasp IP subnetting. Many quit when they found out they could not "slide by". My orientation class, when I started the term, went from 25 at the start of Networking 1 to only 11 after our first term of Cisco routers, Routing & Switching 1. That was all basic networking before even getting to databases, Powershell, or virtualization classes. The instructors are there and will help you IF you are willing to learn. They will not hold your hand and pass you forward to the next class. It is a shame that most people will take their time to leave a bad review, but bother to take the time to leave a good one.

I have taken a few online classes, but they tend to work you considerably more in comparison to the in-seat classes. I am not saying that they are harder, but they will assign just about any assignment for each chapter instead of assigning anything that is relevant to understanding. You have more freedom with attendance with online classes, as long as you turn in your assignments by Sunday and comment on discussion boards.

Recognition is relative to location. ECPI is a Southeastern region school and has recognition from Cisco, EMC, NetApp, Global Knowledge, and such. They even take part in the advisory board of what they want from students twice a year. From what I've seen, most of their "profits" that they are collection seems to be invested towards virtualizing classes with vCastle. Which makes it a lot easier to work technology remotely instead of being restricted to working with the equipment on campus. I surmise that the online classes would use this considerably more.

Here is some pictures of the Moodle shell and Vcastle:

Though I would suggest that you take classes in person since they offer hand's on training. Also, keep in mind that each term/class is 5 weeks. On campus, you would take 2 classes twice a week for 5 hours. You have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. There isn't a spring or summer break. The only length time you have off is December 24th until January 2nd. That is why it is accelerated and can be done within 2.5 years. I am a taking their undergrad network security program concentration. I hope this helps you and if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. It is always best to ask those that have complete or working on a program rather than read review rants icon_wink.gif

I have commented on ECPI in the forums before. You can read more comments on ECPI on these threads:

Thread: Has Anyone Gone To ITT Tech or Devry?
    Thread: Opinions on ECPI University, please

EDIT:
    I am currently studying for the VMware VCP-DCV. I took that class last November and, due to their partnership program, counted for the class requirement to sit for the exam. You can audit any class that you have taken for free, meaning you can sit in on the class if you choose to. I chose to do so in order to gain access to the equipment for labbing. The picture that you see is basically what I have access to in that course.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I have nothing to against for-profit school. I started out my Doctorate with Capella University, but I dropped out because I could see for profit school operates differently than private non-profit or public school. ECPI University is regional, but I would recommend to stay away because of the open admission would devalue the degree itself. I am not saying that for-profit school would have substandard term of degree value. However, private non-profit school program is always more selective because endowment, for profit school is all about revenue.

Secondly what is up with ECPI (Electronic Computer Programming Institute) University = Electronic Computer Programming Institute University? There are plenty of school that offers better option than ECPI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I've attended the local ECPI and it is garbage. Every ECPI campus is different and most of them are pretty bad based on what I've read but the "flagship" campuses seem to be half-decent. My local campus had two programs when I attended, Nursing/Medical and Information Technology. Almost all of the students are in the Medical program and the IT program was a joke. The administration was a revolving door during the two semesters I attended and the teachers were questionable at best. I routinely asked them basic questions that anyone with IT knowledge should know and rarely got an answer that was close to correct. The guy who was running the IT program was a shady Iranian who didn't know anything about computers, the teacher who taught programming was another Iranian who was incoherent and nonsensical most of the time in his classes, and the guy doing the Networking didn't care at all about educating anyone and spent most of his time taking calls relating to his "Personal Computer Services" business when he wasn't taking 15-minute smoke breaks every 20 minutes. One of the big things that was a red flag was that the computer labs were filled with equipment from the late 90's and early post-y2k. The IT program at my local campus exists more to suck up those lovely Veteran's Benefits dollars than it does to actually educate people. I paid more for those two worthless semesters than I ever did taking classes at the local university or community college and to make matters worse, they refused to take credit from either one despite saying they would in their own literature. Also, their "admissions" people are actually paid as "sales people" and get commission for every student they successfully enroll.