Linkedin summary

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello forum,

this is my current linkedin summary. I've kept it honest and what I'm comfortable with saying, but peoples summaries vary so much its hard to tell if its fine, or if im making a faux pas.
I am striving to achieve employment as a Network Engineer, with ambition to branch into IT security once I have the solid foundations and experience to work from. My short term plans are to soak up as much experience as possible in my current role, and try and build a foundation for the next step in the career ladder. Most of my studying efforts are for NOC Engineer roles, and after then expand in parallel relevant certification to help solidify my understanding of the role and excel in the position.

I am currently working as a ICT Technician intern at Dublin Dental University Hospital. I am always studying for certifications for both potential employers and for myself out of personal interest. Even if I landed the dream job, I would still want to expand my knowledge to cover every nuance of IT.

I'm extremely efficient, and have a good, strong and fast-paced work ethic. Every client I have gone to has been impressed at the speed of my response, not just to see them face-to-face but also resolving the issue.

At present, I am studying for the ITILv3, and going to college for the CCNA at the end of September 2014. If I have the time, I would like to study towards the Comptia Linux+, since its something I have always wanted to know but never had exposure too.

Once I am in a networking role, I will start to study for the CCNA:Security, CCNP, CISSP, SCP, or anything else that would relate to the role.

Second question I have is potential employers being able to link myself to forums. I'm always a bit embarrassed reading old posts of mine on here, I would hate an employer doing the same. Does anyone worry about that? I was going to make a new account a few years ago here just for that purpose but never went through with it.

Once the summary and the forum question are settled, I'm looking forward to adding everyone on the linkedin thread :D

Comments

• yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My summary is similar to yours. A statement about why I like security, a statement defining my interest and what kind of positions I'm looking for, and two more summarizing my past experience and current education.

Your second question doesn't make sense to me. Why would a potential employer link "John Doe" to Kai123?
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suggest keeping it to a few sentences in length. Focus on what value (tangible or intangible) that you bring to your current organization or your field. Short, quick, and simple. Employers don't really care what you're studying or what you like; it's all about what you bring to the table.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would shorten it, but that's just me.

And yes, I've wondered what employers can find on me in regards to old web history and social media. Google your email address for a good laugh.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will re-work it and make it shorter. My main objective was to show that I have a plan, what im interested in studying for and im pro-active in doing it.

If you google my e-mail I use on my CV, you get my einstein@home forum posts, cant complain about that!
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    I suggest keeping it to a few sentences in length. Focus on what value (tangible or intangible) that you bring to your current organization or your field. Short, quick, and simple. Employers don't really care what you're studying or what you like; it's all about what you bring to the table.

I'm not confident to sell myself with my current knowledge, certs and experience. I'd say in 6 months when im halfway through my CCNA course and with the experience of my internship, I will re-write it with the goal of selling myself. For now its about my enthusiasm and passion, since its all i got for the moment.
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't shorten it, although it depends on what you want to use it for.

What I make short and to the point is my cover letter, but then I use the LinkedIn summary to expand its content.

Also, when I see others profiles I rather read a good structured summary that just "X title with Y years of experience in Z sector".
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even my summary is bullet-point. I just don't like the whole bubbly narrative thing.

Justin Hutchens | LinkedIn
  • srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with keeping it shorter. You could emphasize that you have a strong desire to continue learning new technologies. I can see most people skipping the summary if it is not to the point.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yep, shorter is better. Think mine is two sentences.