A company that doesn’t give any pay increases or any bonus in your division

CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
Has anyone experience this? If so, did you transfer to a different department, changed position in order to get a raise; jumped ship, how long did you stay with the company? etc..

My annual review is coming next month

First and foremost here’s a little background on this dilemma:

I relocated(first time on my own beside when I was in school) to Houston and accepted a technical support position at a fortune 500 company that is transitioning into the MSP business (they acquired a large MSP) I work on-site at the client’s office.
I still recall the first day when I started how my new co-workers were complaining about how most of them haven’t received a raised in over 3yrs along with some other complaints. Well from that day, I was determined to improve myself (and save as much money as possible) so I can jump off this ship. Three months after I started, my manager left since he didn’t receive a raise on his first year mark.

Since I’ve moved here, I’ve obtained the certs that are listed on my profile and half way through my MS degree. I feel that I’ve made myself really indispensable in my position since I’m my supervisor’s go-to guy over my co-workers who all been there for 3yrs+ and have received great feedbacks from end-users and executives at the supported company. All these feedback have trickled back to the upper management at my company.

To date, post my B.S degree; I have 2 years of technical support experience and 3 years of general IT experience(Geek Squad @ Best Buy) while I was going to school.

Comments

• roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are plenty of companies all the country like that my friend. The last place I worked we hadn't had pay increases in over 7 years.

Firstly you need to understand that unless you're in a Union, no company is obligated to increase your pay.
    Secondly research shows that the biggest pay raise usually comes with a new job at a different employer.

Have you had a review lately and was the matter discussed? I would broach the topic with your supervisor or manager [gently]. Be prepared to demonstrate/show what you've done to justify your request.

If they hit you with "we don't have the money right now" which is a very common theme, then you will have to decide if you want to move on or stick with it.

Good Luck.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    @Roch_greg i agree that no company is obligated to increase employees pay raise (what about employee morale/motivation) and that the biggest pay raise usually comes with a new job at a different employer.

My review is next month but i'll probably stick around since 1.) my lease doesn't end until February and 2.) im open to relocating to other cities

Since you are from Rochester, you might know the company since they were HQ in that location.

btw GO RIT
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Roch stated it well.

This is not a big deal. If you don't like it, you have to decide if it is time to move on or not. Perhaps you are near the top of your pay range? Lots depends on the profitability of the company, but as you will likely find out with more years of experience that much goes into deciding if a job is worth staying in or leaving, and usually with more experience, one finds that the pay is not the most important fact...they way one is treated and the 'other' benefits matter most (like flexibility with schedule and such).

Bottom line, no, this is not unusual. It is not something to get worked up about. Either this works in your life position today or it does not. It is fair to inquire if this is temporary or long-term (pay freeze that is), and then decide if you are willing to hang in there or split.

Best wishes
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    There is a LOT of opportunity in Houston, or the Dallas/Ft. Worth & Austin areas if you're open to relocating again. I would ask for a raise but make it a business case. If you don't get it, look elsewhere because there is plenty around you.
  • roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @CIO

I think more employers today, not all mind you, don't give a darn about morale/motivation of the employees. Just they're bottom line.

They know that the job market isn't so great and figure folks won't leave because they can't find another job. That and if they do leave the company gets a chance to bring someone else on for less money. It's quite sad really.

We don't have many big companies left (well the companies are still here but they just aren't as big anymore) so I probably do know.

Actually I am a RIT Alum. That's how I ended up in this wonderful corner of the Country.

The other responses are gr8t 2. See if you get any traction at your review. Check the various Salary Guides on the 'net and see what your worth so your not shooting off some wild unrealistic number.

Good Luck!
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.