Options

Thinking about studing but not sure if its the right move? (inspiration needed!!)

dingding84dingding84 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm currently in a job I despise and I've used the last month to try and decide on what path I want to carve out for myself. I have flirted with the idea on and off before and read a few books and watch CBT nuggets before so not completely new but obviously still a beginner with all the material etc. I'm considering looking for a part time job that will pay everything I need to so I can knuckle down and take some classes as a local I.T. college runs a CCNA, CCNA Security and CCNP classes on regular basis.

The reason I have to look for a new job is that my current job is on shift work and my shifts change from week to week for days and time of work so I just can't commit to anything as I don't have the time for studying. I feel if I can get a job that enables me to study then I can attend the classes and hopefully be better off long term than sticking with my current job that has no progression for me and is limited on what I could move onto with another employer.

So is it a good move? Once you get some qualifications (Plan on getting the CCNA at the least but would like to go up to CCNP if I can) is there any jobs out there in the UK for someone with little experience other than classroom? I won't be looking for big money as I'm only in £17000 a year so its not a huge task to get back up to that bracket but I don't want to take this huge task on and be worse off at the end of the day in 5 years etc (I know you can't forecast my career but i'm looking at the likely-hood)

Ultimately at the end of the day I just want a career that will make me think on a daily basis and challenge me. I want to make something of myself rather than just going through the same daily grind that doesn't stimulate me in any way. I don't mind making the sacrifice over the next while as long as there is good reason to and if anyone has any good advice, information or stories to inspire to make this move (or to not make it) then please tell me cos I don't want to go into this decision without covering all my bases!

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Do you work in the IT sector at the moment? I managed to get a job without any proper 'networking' experience (i.e working on Cisco equipment etc) however I did have 5 years working in desktop/server support.
  • Options
    rocdamikerocdamike Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I managed to get an entry level job at a data centre without any prior IT experience (used to work in retail). Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would not even think about a CCNA right now. I would get a few entry level certs such as MTAs and/or the A+. You should be able to study these at home without taking any classes (I managed to). After this, if you have the right attitude and determination and with a little bit of luck, you may be able to get into a 1st Line IT support role or an entry level data centre role.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    maybe you should find a few dead moths and slide it through the vent cracks of the older non-cisco equipment and tell them they have a bug in the system, get it bug, lol!!!!!

PS: 1st bug was a moth, lol icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Depending on your financial situation, I would go for the Network+ first depending on your background. If funds are tight, maybe just read the book to get a pretty decent overview of network topologies from a vendor neutral perspective.

Then maybe take up one of the CCNA courses at your local college. When I interview people who have entry level certs I can at least see that someone is interested in bettering themselves through self- or class-based education. You will be in this industry for a long time, may as well start now. Good luck
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I went from marketing to IT and landed my first and current job as Level II tech, its only been 4 months and they are already throwing some Level III work my way. I went the straight forward route, I reached out to the hiring manager and was honest with him about what I know and what I don't know. Soft skills are more important in the beginning. Out of the 5 people on my team, only 1 has a cert and that is A+ from high school.

Now that I actually seeing Layer 3 issues I started studying for CCENT. It's a lot easier learning the technology when you hear it and see it, even if they don't let me play with it yet.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005