How To secretly look for jobs

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hello Techxams,

Ok I'm actually at that point where I would like to move on along my career path...into another company. I don't want my boss to discover I'm trying to leave till it's time to put in my two weeks notice. What's the best way to post your resume discreetly without anybody being able to identify you? I thought to pull the thoughts of the crowd on this one. Hope y'all had a good 4th of July.

grizz
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't post it. Submit to positions that fit what you are looking for. I doubt he would be out there looking on Job boards anyway... but that's away to get around it... Just submit to the positions you seek, pass your resume to associates at different locations.. Things like that.
  • roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some if not all of the major job boards allow you to block by name companies/people from seeing your resume.

Another thought is you could use something like "confidential" when listing your current employer name in your online resume. Most employers/recruiters will ask if you have a updated resume when they contact you. You can add your employer back then.

I find it's not the listing your resume on-line that causes your current employer to find out your looking for work, but rather all the calls they will get for employment verification before you even get the job.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unless you are applying for positions at the same company or to another company that your boss knows the hiring manager/person, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I wouldn't post your resume in the open on job boards if you are really that worried about your current boss finding out you are looking for another position, but chances are slim your current boss would even see it. Unless they are surfing job boards themselves.
    Just submit your resume and apply like you normally would. When it comes time for interviews, try and schedule them on your lunch break, after/before work, or take a sick day if you have to.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the same situation as egrizzly kind of and need some pointers as well.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As others have said, this is only an issue if you are blindly spraying and posting your resume out there. If you do a targeted, selective approach then you have nothing to worry about. Key here is planning.

To sum up the 101 guide as mentioned above:
    - Do not post your resume openly. Most likely this can be traced back to you.
    - Apply directly to select positions
    - Don't search while at work. We IT overlords can see almost everything you do
    - Do not provide any way for the potential future employer to contact your current supervisor. In some circles this will disqualify you, but who cares. Any respectable employer will understand this and will only seek a reference/verification as one of the final steps and only after an offer has been made
    - If you can't walk away for a bit, lunch/after work interviews are a must
    - Be cognizant of adding recruiters on LinkedIn. This will raise flags if you coworkers/boss are your LinkedIn contacts
    - Don't post anything related to job search of FB/Twitter/etc
    - Also be extremely careful with recruiters. Enough said
    - Don't tell your coworkers. Seriously, you can thank me later
    - Warn your significant other. She may know your coworkers. Also don't tell family
    - Plan for when an interview is imminent. You'll need to get "sick", take PTO, personal day, etc. Be ready to have a solid answer when people ask you what are you doing/what you did on your time off
    - Last but not least, never let your current job suffer because you are looking to move on. Do your best until the very last minute.

Honestly, I entertain LinkedIn hits from time to time just to see what's out there and keep my selling points active and fresh. If I ever get "busted" while shopping secretly this is how I would explain it.

Best of luck on your quest.
  • user25379082user25379082 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get in contact with agencies that both recruit and lease personnel. They act in the name of companies which outsource recruiting and they will try to get you in. With respect to discretion, they will arrange a contract (6-12 month) and therefore better not blow it by leaking their sales before it's done. After a while, you most probably will be hired directly because their client pays a fee each month. By the way, they will keep your record and will be interested in doing business once more.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just be careful.... when my Wife was getting into IT she went to RHT, some how they started talking about me being a Network Engineer and where I worked, (her and a lady recruiter)
    They told her that two of my other colleagues were in their office in the last few weeks. I was shocked they would reveal that(My wife could have lied about who she was and her relationship to me) I didn't know my co-workers were looking to get out, but obviously we all were by the end... one of them she named put his 2-weeks in by the end of that month.

Let's say that got back to my boss, that would have been disastrous. You have to play things closer to the vest as some of these agencies can't keep things quiet.
  • user25379082user25379082 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chitownjedi's story makes a valid point.

Dear OP,

there will a point of no return. Until that day comes, put as much as possible into motion. Never think you'd be embarrassed by having sent out too many applications. That's why I did mention recruiting/leasing agencies.
  • CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    Why do you have secretly looking for the job? Your company cannot fire you because you are searching for better opportunity. Unless you screw something up with your employer, otherwise you have nothing to worry about. If you the time for the interview, just give them a reason of personal business. They cannot ask you why you need time off. Have you ever heard of the term "Dentist Appointment?" I constantly have my resume available on major job website. Even though I don't actively look for new job, but I am always looking for better opportunity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
    At-will seems to be the norm nowadays, so they can fire you for any/no reason. If they are vindictive they will come up with creative ways to make your life miserable that will also hold upon a wrongful termination lawsuit. Some environments are just that toxic.

Source: I worked for a company that did this and have heard many similar stories from colleagues.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Agreed. Except for special circumstances, your current employer should never know that you are looking for another job. It is too easy to fire people. If you are in an at-will state, they can just say that you are fired without even having to give you any reason. Also, even if they aren't going to fire you, it can severely limit your future at the company. What if you job search turns up empty and you stay? Do you think they are gonna give you a raise next year when they expect you to quit?

At my last job my employer knew I was looking for a new job, but I was hired with the understanding that it was a temporary gig that wouldn't last more than 6 months and that I would be looking for a new job while working there.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Chi I experienced something similar to that. I had a recruiter give me 3 -4 live resumes with all the personal information on them. So I could use them to use the bullet points from those resumes. Address email everything. I did the respectable things and shredded them up.

Be careful with recruiters they are a tight knit community and share information even when they shouldn't, it's not ethical.

I have a friend who used to be a recruiter and they can call each other up and ask questions about candidates. Hardly ethical to say the least but from what I understand it can be done.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Cyber I agree

I heard of that "strategy" as a Shark Attack. They almost play good cop bad cop with the employee and eventually get you so thrown off you want to quit or your life is terrible.

Not trying to scare the OP but it happens, I've seen it, thankful for the person they were strong willed and were able to overcome those tactics until they found a new job.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Why do you have secretly looking for the job? Your company cannot fire you because you are searching for better opportunity. Unless you screw something up with your employer, otherwise you have nothing to worry about. If you the time for the interview, just give them a reason of personal business. They cannot ask you why you need time off. Have you ever heard of the term "Dentist Appointment?" I constantly have my resume available on major job website. Even though I don't actively look for new job, but I am always looking for better opportunity.

Illinois here is an At-Will employment state. They will find a reason to terminate you as they figure you are already going to go.
  • LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get that resume looking spiffy.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    - Don't search while at work. We IT overlords can see almost everything you do

In what way? I am asking because they might be a chances that someone could be watching me while I am browsing private and sensitive staff, I just want to be aware if anything like that happens so that I can prevent I can prevent it in future.
    Should've said don't search on company owned resources including your personal laptop/tablet/phone while on their WiFi/hardwired network. As you mentioned, shoulder surfing is a potential issue even if using your own equipment and connectivity.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    look from home...Don't post on public job board sites. Apply directly to employer website. That way your information is secure.

Set up Indeed alerts.
    There's Nothing wrong with setting up a Linked IN profile
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • odellglanvilleodellglanville Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I was reading about agencies and stuff. To be honest, I think I'll just ring up first, if I have no luck then I'll have to do that. Thanks for your help!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□

It is very common for people to keep their job search private. Most employers will not be pleased with the idea that an employee is looking to leave. At the very least they might no longer trust you to work on long term projects and your future opportunities could be severely limited in that organization.

I don't think it's wrong to express your interest to an employer but I do think it depends on each situation. Some will handle it better then others. My currently company has allowed me to shift my schedule hours so that I can gain IT experience with another company. I have been there 8+ years and they have worked around my school requirements for all of the past year and hopefully for the next two terms as well. I won't be fired for job hunting but I am certain they are aware they will need to replace me within the next two years.

OP - Good Luck in the job hunt. I recommend you be cautious but don't stress to much about it. Good employers will offer a counter offer if it's possible and wish you well in your new position. Bad employers are not likely to care about your new position and will only tell you how much you screwed them over. Don't let that type of person influence you.