Options

Horrible Work Environment

Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
I work in a basic run of the mill call center with people who are twice/almost three times my age. I feel like it's a close to a slave shop. We sit in a room all day with a headset tied around our necks and are "authorized" two 15 minute breaks and one hour lunch. Communication is non-existent among many. I feel many people are bitter and just negative.

My manager has no backbone at all and has lied on me and others more times than I can remember. I've been here for about 3 months and don't want to stay any longer because it's only going to be more difficult to get out. Last week one of my co-workers was complaining about when I choose to take lunch by talking behind my back and not saying a word to me. However, the spot I used to go...he doesn't even go now.

I have companies contact me for interviews, but anytime I ask for time off the manager always has something to say and it doesn't work out. Yeah, I've thought about the sick excuse, but he is waiting to nail me for anything. Yet, everyone else can week long vacations no problem.

I feel stuck because I don't have time to network with recruiters and even attend to personal things like doctor's appointment. I get off work close to 6 and start at 8. I'm not learning anything and everything I was once familiar is slowly going away. No opportunity for advancement. It's not like I don't have personal time because I do. I really want to quit, but I wouldn't even be eligible for unemployment.

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Sounds like a help desk for a large health care environment I contracted for briefly some years back.

Use any sick time, lunch time, etc. that you can get to reach out regarding opportunities.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Success101 wrote: »
    I work in a basic run of the mill call center with people who are twice/almost three times my age. I feel like it's a close to a slave shop. We sit in a room all day with a headset tied around our necks and are "authorized" two 15 minute breaks and one hour lunch. Communication is non-existent among many. I feel many people are bitter and just negative.

My manager has no backbone at all and has lied on me and others more times than I can remember. I've been here for about 3 months and don't want to stay any longer because it's only going to be more difficult to get out. Last week one of my co-workers was complaining about when I choose to take lunch by talking behind my back and not saying a word to me. However, the spot I used to go...he doesn't even go now.

I have companies contact me for interviews, but anytime I ask for time off the manager always has something to say and it doesn't work out. Yeah, I've thought about the sick excuse, but he is waiting to nail me for anything. Yet, everyone else can week long vacations no problem.

I feel stuck because I don't have time to network with recruiters and even attend to personal things like doctor's appointment. I get off work close to 6 and start at 8. I'm not learning anything and everything I was once familiar is slowly going away. No opportunity for advancement. It's not like I don't have personal time because I do. I really want to quit, but I wouldn't even be eligible for unemployment.

Start documenting unethical and hostile behavior. You have sick time- personal time, use it. It's yours. You start hearing comments and chirping that's unprofessional, document it. Also don't be afraid to bring your concerns to your manager. At this point you need to start getting a paper trail, and preemptively showing that you were the one trying to adhere to your workplace policies, and acting cordial. If you get pounced on after all that, you submit your paper work to HR.

You shouldn't be feeling like that you have no options, if you believe this is not the best fit, then you have to maximize your options. You know you want to move and don't want to waste a way, then what do you have to lose? He pounces on you and cans you for what? Something that is yours? Sick-Vacation? You let them know as soon as you have an issue that you are feeling mistreated (After addressing your Manager first- Always man up, make your issues known.) If he retaliates, then he's putting the company at risk to be sued for wrongful termination and all that jazz...

Unfortunately, I've known and been around a lot of things like this... You have to start documenting stuff right away.... emails, incidents, times... and make a point to engage him on your concerns, otherwise you will appear to not have done your due diligence.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get out as quickly as possible. Make it your #1 priority to find a new job ASAP. You have some very nice certs, no reason why you couldn't find something else.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    +1000. Get out of there fast. I know how you feel, I've been in the same position.
    I know you need a job to pay the bills, but don't put up with all of that if you have other companies contacting you for interviews!
  • Options
    DrB1986DrB1986 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently been through this hell and I know all to well.

I was at the NMCI helpdesk for 8 months ( one of the toughest call centers in the Hampton Roads, VA area) rising from a basic T1 analyst to T2 specialty team T2 guy and I cant tell you the BS we had to go through and to low pay we got in return which was 12 an hour but I got out recently in a job I so far enjoy. Dude long story short, get out, get out now, do what you have to do, **** use skype, meet them on Saturdays or Sundays, phone interviews you name it but you have the certs now LEAVE lol.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While I was an analyst and not on the desk I was in a toxic work environment recently. I had faith and stayed focus, not letting doubt enter the picture.

In fact today I secured a new position.

Keep your chin up you'll get through this rough patch.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know the feeling success101, as I've been in your shoes before. But let me tell you this, the worry that you can't take a sick day for an interview or state that you have a doctors appointment is in your head, respectively. It's the worry deep down that you are doing something wrong and not going to work. All in all, the worrying is for nothing really and it will work out. Now there are always different circumstances, but I think if you sneak off to an interview or two you should be fine.

Go into work everyday and remember this job is only temporary, a mere place holder until I get that next job, a bill payer. Water off a ducks back mate. If you can keep that mentality, and keep looking for a job the circumstances and conditions for that interview will work out. Only when it looks really bad, will the good come. I promise!

Cheers mate,
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DrB1986 wrote: »
    I recently been through this hell and I know all to well.

I was at the NMCI helpdesk for 8 months ( one of the toughest call centers in the Hampton Roads, VA area) rising from a basic T1 analyst to T2 specialty team T2 guy and I cant tell you the BS we had to go through and to low pay we got in return which was 12 an hour but I got out recently in a job I so far enjoy. Dude long story short, get out, get out now, do what you have to do, **** use skype, meet them on Saturdays or Sundays, phone interviews you name it but you have the certs now LEAVE lol.
    I was working at the same place, I can vouch for what he says lol.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Gallager00Gallager00 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    Get out as quickly as possible. Make it your #1 priority to find a new job ASAP. You have some very nice certs, no reason why you couldn't find something else.

+2. You should start applying for jobs, and I'm sure you will get some opportunities given your certs.
    2016 Goals: CCNA Security, CCNA Data Center, VCP6-NV. Mostly focusing on skills rather than certs.
    2016 Completed:
    Currently reading: CCNA Security, programming books
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Sounds like the call center I started with... the reason why most call centers have high turnovers. The environment is not conducive for progression. I used my time collecting certs on my free time. Depending on how they measure your metrics (calls out/in, idle times, breaks, etc.), do your best to meet those and use your 'free' time wisely.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been in a situation very, very similar to this. I started a crappy data-entry/marketing job back in January of this year and had finally had enough by the end of April. My co-workers (all three of them; most people left after the first day or two) and I were part of a "fashion software" company that was run by a mother and daughter duo that happened to be some of the most small-minded, belittling people I've ever met. Everything started off alright but soon turned into micromanagement, then belittlement and finally a hostile work environment. Once the President and VP found out I "was an IT", they promoted me to "software tester": my first task was to find any security vulnerabilities in their web app, note them and send the vp an email with the issue and solution. I found one almost right away and sent an email to the VP. I got a nasty response that basically made me out to be some kind of smart ass who didn't know what I was talking about. The VP demanded that I go home that night and type 20 best security practices for web-based apps. Seriously, she gave me homework...I did it and sent it to her the very next morning, but she didn't say anything about it for several weeks. When it was brought up again, she had her finger in my face screaming that I didn't know what I was talking about (again) and that my degree/certs (education, period) was useless and would never transfer to the "real world". I took it quietly, and grabbed my stuff and left a few minutes after she left the room.

By that time, I already had my resume out there and interviews lined up. Yes, it was a stupid decision, financially, to just quit and not have another job lined up (I won't be doing that again, trust me) but it worked out for the best. I spent the next month going to interviews and getting my CCENT cert, which landed me in the position I'm at now: I make more than twice as much money, I have better hours, I can study for certs while at work, my coworkers and boss are all awesome and are extremely helpful in teaching me everything they can about networking/systems, etc. Like everyone else in this thread states, get out asap. Money will become an issue, but with those certs and your actual experience (I had none, basically) you should be able to land something in no time (you've got people calling you for interviews already!). Go for it, man!
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • Options
    CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know this feeling very well too. I lost 25 months trying to get out of old IT call centre job, but I hung in there and ended up in a much better position at the end of it. It sounds clichéd but you just have to keep your head up and do all you can to escape. Good luck!
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□

Just take the interview and make an excuse. Most companies will at least give you a certain amount of warnings before firing you. If it's really that bad, I'd just risk losing my job and going on unemployement until I found something better.
  • Options
    odellglanvilleodellglanville Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not really, either way they could call for a reference unless you put no to contacting them or leave them off your resume. Without bashing the company, you could just say you were let go because the company didn't feel you were a good fit and you decided to pursue other opportunities better suited to your abilities. When or IF that happens. It is a tough economy and unless you have someone who can assist you financially, I would not leave the job without another job lined up. Do your best while searching high and low for another job..even if it pays slightly less. Anything to get out of the environment. What exactly about the job is toxic?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    What exactly about the job is toxic?

Seemingly dishonest boss, backstabbing coworkers seems to be what the OP indicated. If you're young and you were raised to be honest, these things will be maddening. Just remember not everyone was raised with similar sets of values and let it go.

The increasingly common toxic work environments are yet another reason why some of us are tempted to go into business for ourselves. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    emill910emill910 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

I feel your pain sounds exactly like where im working now.