Inter vlan routing problem

damien2008damien2008 Member Posts: 45 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I have the following set up in packet tracer, see pic
PCs on vlans 1, 10 and 20 can all ping their relevant address on the router
For example PC4 in vlan 20 can ping interface Gig9/0.20 on the router

why can't PCs ping between vlans ?
For example PC 4 in vlan 20 ping PC 2 in vlan 10 ?

Comments

• tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    Did you set a default gateway on the PC pointing to the router IP address for the specific subnet?
  • VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    I noticed something in your diagram that may help or may not. If you are using packet tracer, get rid of the IP on the Physical Interface and just use the sub interfaces. There is a known issue on Packet Tracer when using a setup like this. In GNS3, it shouldn't be a problem, but I noticed while studying for CCNA a time back, that Packet Tracer couldn't handle 3 Vlans with a ROAS config with an IP in VLAN 1. Try it out with only vlans 10 and 20. See if it works then.

Otherwise, make sure all your default gateways are set, your vlan tagging configs are correct, and the trunk is set up properly.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • damien2008damien2008 Member Posts: 45 ■□□□□□□□□□
    VinnyCisco wrote: »
    I noticed something in your diagram that may help or may not. If you are using packet tracer, get rid of the IP on the Physical Interface and just use the sub interfaces. There is a known issue on Packet Tracer when using a setup like this. In GNS3, it shouldn't be a problem, but I noticed while studying for CCNA a time back, that Packet Tracer couldn't handle 3 Vlans with a ROAS config with an IP in VLAN 1. Try it out with only vlans 10 and 20. See if it works then.

Otherwise, make sure all your default gateways are set, your vlan tagging configs are correct, and the trunk is set up properly.

Thanks for the help, I'll try this tomorrow and report back.
  • damien2008damien2008 Member Posts: 45 ■□□□□□□□□□
    damien2008 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, I'll try this tomorrow and report back.

Hi,

I got rid of the native vlan 1 on the physical interface and created it as a sub (Gig9/0.1)

It now works, thanks for your help.

This was my first attempt with doing something on Packet Tracer as my lab router hasn’t got a fast Ethernet port on it so therefore doesn’t support Inter vlan routing.

Kind regards

Damien2008

• VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Excellent. Glad you got it working.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.