do you take notes when you study?

frankiemiltonfrankiemilton Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
i never really take notes and just read the material because im lazy.
i mean REALLY lazy. icon_rolleyes.gif
what about you?
what is your method of studying?

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I tend to take notes, over the years I've created quite a notebooks with well over a hundred notes in Evernote. Just going over various topics I've studied.

Even if it's a quick 2 hour session I usually take notes with my iPad/keyboard in evernote. Just in case I need to refer to it later I prefer to have the notes. That and it helps me remember the material.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I take notes. It engages the mind to formulate your own interpretation of what you are studying. It is also preferable to physically write them, as it causes you to focus on words being written.

It also depends on what you are studying and to what depth.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh yes, I take notes when I study because I always remember what I write and as mentioned above, its how I interpret my understanding on what I have read. A student without a pen is like a soldier without a gun according to me.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yep, I take notes too. They go on my Google drive for easy reference anywhere anytime.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • swellbowswellbow Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely, if only to keep myself moving through the material. I write down anything I can't instantly grasp/recall off the top of my head, then spend time internalizing/studying once I've gotten through all the course objectives. Otherwise, I'd start second-guessing my grasp of the material and would re-read and re-re-read to a grinding halt.
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Always, and most of the time with pen and paper. I find typing doesn't help me memorize.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't usually take notes when studying for a certification. I just read and re-read the information until I'm able to talk about certain topics without a problem. I know this takes longer but I want to make sure that I don't really miss any important information when I take notes. I'm kinda bad at taking notes sometimes.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    OneNote user here. Always create a notebook for any cert I go for.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it's something that requires a lot of memorization or a long sequential process, then yes I'll take some notes. Otherwise I read/re-read and lab (if applicable) until I understand it w/o notes. Ex. for the CISSP I took notes on my problem areas and came up with different ways to memorize the material (like security models) in a way that made sense to me. For the MCSE coursework, I read/re-read and did labs to drive home the concepts. Doing the GSEC and Linux+ (for WGU) now, so the GSEC I'll be indexing and the Linux+ I will probably just read.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    Always, and most of the time with pen and paper. I find typing doesn't help me memorize.

I am with you 100 percent on that.
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do take notes for things that I'm not sure I will be able to remember in a couple of days time. Lately, I've been considering making a blog so that I could have everything in one place and use it as a 'portfolio' of the topics/exams that I'm covering.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Yup. I take TONS of notes. I used to use pen and paper but it hurts my hand too much. I learned to type before I could write so my handwriting has always been messy and somewhat of a pain in the wrist.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • CrocrodelCrocrodel Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I take a ton of notes and also like to organize them by subject and category.

I have a couple personal websites and decided two years ago to create a subdomain on one of them and install Dokuwiki. This way, I can access it anywhere I have an Internet connection and it has also grown pretty nicely.

I keep certification notes, work-related stuff and also personal projects of mine to keep track of this and that. Of course, it's not open to the public and it has a fair bit of security.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but it has worked wonderfully for me and that's what matters.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always take notes

Mostly typed but on occasion I do handwritten then typed for neater and presentable form in case I need to incorporate screenshots/guides on certain subjects

I also take notes for the different resources I use such as one from CBT Nuggets, one from the book, etc.

I always upload to a secondary location like Skydrive and a USB memstick I carry with me
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I take notes in the margins and blank space of my textbooks. This helps keep my notes in context of what is being studied.

If I write them in a spiral note book or type them up on a computer, I end up with various notepads/documents that ramble on and have doodles on them.

It's always been easier for me to flip to the subject in question and see what I've written down previously, as oppose to shuffling through a bunch of loose leaf pages.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • HoldendazzHoldendazz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, always take notes via pen and paper method. I just find that the information really locks in better when Im writing it down.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've taken notes via typing and writing. Writing helps me retain the lecture a lot better, ESPECIALLY the second time around.

The Pen Is Mightier Than the Keyboard: Advantage... [Psychol Sci. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • country28341country28341 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I take notes, highlight, and even record my lectures.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I highlight first and then go back second time and make notes from the highlights. I remember much better if I hand write my notes, but it's not quick to search. Anyone OCR their handwritten notes? Maybe I should try that.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have lots of scrap pads. I usually take notes while I am reading to help me gather thoughts and remember the information. However I usually throw the notes out every couple days because it's more about composing it in my head and writing it down then it is for reference or review.

I have read that it is better to go back and rewrite the notes neater the next day. This will help reinforce the learning process again. Since I don't keep the notes I don't usually do this but it might be worth while as I get into higher certs.
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I take notes in a classroom but don't take notes for everything else. I have an amazing memory with things that I see but only decent memory with things that I hear. I've started taking notes now though in order to help people at work review for certification exams.
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't take notes. In college, I always felt like note-taking distracted me from actually listening to lectures and paying attention to the questions asked in class. Even when I self-study, I rarely take notes, and if I do, it's usually because it's a topic that I want to go back and dig a little deeper into using other sources.

I don't have a particularly great memory, I just understand what I read, and if I have a question about something, I go back and look it up. Then when I'm done reading, I usually spend the rest of my day thinking about subnetting or trunking or whatever while I'm doing dishes, making my bed, etc. It might be distracting if I had a wife and kids, but I live alone, so I have lots of time to think.