Options

Starting to study towards 100-101 ICND1 and IOS 15

liddaneliddane Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I've started to study towards 100-101 ICND1. I'm Using the book "CCNA Routing and Switching - Todd Lammle" The eddition covers 100-101, 200-101 and 200-120. I'm also using Cisco Packet Tracer v 6.0.1.0011

Looking at the exam spec on Cisco's site here What it mentions IOS v15.
I was just wondering will the resources I'm using cover this version, if not can anyone recommend any Cisco Simulator software and books that do cover it?
Cheers
Anthony

Comments

• Options
    skittledmonkeyskittledmonkey Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Packet Tracer for ICND1, and still using it for ICND2. I did have some real hardware, but in the end I found it far less hassle to use the simulators.

Good look with your studies!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Packet tracer has IOS 15 but keep in mind it a simulator. It does not have all of the commands that the real IOS has.

It was designed to cover what you need for ICND1 and ICND2. There is a newer version recommended for CCNA Security that includes a firewall as well.

Good Luck
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Good luck Anthony.

That version of Packet Tracer will do just fine for the ICND1 and ICND2. I would also look into using GNS3 for more of the router specific topics. But Packet Tracer should do. One thing about Packet Tracer is that it won't have the full slew of debug options, or extra options in some of the commands, but what I found is it had enough for studying for CCNA.

I also used the Lammle book. I like the way he puts things into perspective. But you may run into a couple of errors in his book. I wouldn't worry to much though, since I was able to spot them. As you go forward in your studies and start to understand the material and concepts, you will spot the errors too.

I would also suggest CBT Nuggets CCNA course with Jeremy and also Chris Bryants CCNA Bootcamp.

And this link below is golden. It is the CCNA series from INE. I would really go through this as well. The material is based off of the last CCNA testing series before the upgrade, but trust me... it is up to date and will help you greatly.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA0AF9A1586D50544

Good luck!

VinnyCisco
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.