Documentation for IT/IS support?

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey,

I have plenty of hand-written notes that I want to put to a document that everyone can access. We don’t really have documentation for IT support here since the team of 5 have all been here for 14 years, so they have never had a need to do it. It’s my own personal project since it’s a pain either trying to find the odd document buried away on the NAS or going through my own little book of notes.
I was wondering if maybe there was any software or a template for word for this kind of technical documentation. It would work as a word doc, but I’m thinking of functionality first before presentation, hence why maybe there might be something out there just for this.
Kai.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I would look into some sort of knowledge base or wiki type product. In a perfect world I would love to see this integrated within a ticketing system but if budget constraints are an issue there are many free solutions out there such as Spiceworks.
  • UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I would look into some sort of knowledge base or wiki type product. In a perfect world I would love to see this integrated within a ticketing system but if budget constraints are an issue there are many free solutions out there such as Spiceworks.

HP for their support system has a knowledgebase integrated in. Not if they sell it to others to use, but I use it in my daily Help Desk work.
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use sharepoint wiki for this and it works great. Search works great. Highly recommend.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EDIT: Just asked my IT manager about access to Sharepoint. She said “no, don’t use that! Just write down notes.” I guess Word it is!

We use Spiceworks for our ticket system.

Looking through it now for plugins to see if I can get what I'm looking for. Something like a Wiki format would be good. Right now it would be fairly small, but eventually I would want something that most users could easily read and troublshoot themselves, or help the IS staff narrow the problem down.

Like I said, its my own little project. Chances are It will be a Word document :P
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    So wait, why are you not using the Spiceworks knowledge base feature?
  • 65026502 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use the Spiceworks knowledge base. It's probably not as nice as a wiki, but it works out pretty well for me.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only glanced over the Spiceworks feature. Will delve into it a bit more when I'm back in tomorrow. On the surface it didnt look intuitive (I was super hyped over SharePoint till that balloon was popped) but reading some articles now on it, it might be what I'm after.