Options

WGU capstone question

da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
For those of you that have already submitted and passed your capstone I have a question.

How much of your prospectus was carried over to your written project? It seems to me that many questions in the prospectus could also answer the written project.

I am under the impression that the prospectus is pre-research project and the written report is post-research project; so does that mean just change the tense of the statements?

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you talking about your technical writing assignment when you say prospectus?

About 65% of my technical writing assignment was included in the accepted capstone. I expanded it a bit in a few sections and it was accepted after the second submission.
  • Options
    I believe we are talking about the same thing. Thanks, I had a feeling that was the case.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're interested, I may have my final capstone lying around here somewhere that I could send you. My actual submission included quite a few documents including a video.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    For me, it was probably closer to 80% recycled. That is to say, I changed the tense and re-worded sections with a little additional info. What was originally, "I plan to do X, Y & Z because..."; I went with, "Although I planned X, Y, and Z I discovered that X did 123 while Y did 456 and only part of Z was needed because counting to 7 was sufficient."

Truth be told it seemed a little too easy and almost like I was cheating because it was so similar, but after asking around this is pretty much the standard approach.

BTW, have they updated the "model" Capstones? When I did mine a little over a year ago they only had 5 or so available and they weren't really that great.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I used 90% of my prospectus in my final capstone. I changed the tense from future/present to past, added the Project Development, Conclusion, etc. I can send you my prospectus and final capstone if you'd like. Both passed on their first submission. I made the whole thing up too.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    PurpleIT wrote: »

BTW, have they updated the "model" Capstones? When I did mine a little over a year ago they only had 5 or so available and they weren't really that great.

Not as of a few months ago. I had my first revision sent back because I did some of the things that were shown in the example capstone papers. I was told they don't do it that way anymore... umm...
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone that has left some constructive advice, it was more of a sanity check for me and it has helped.

To everyone else that wants to leave some smart@$$ passive aggressive reputation comments please get a life. If you are so educated please share that knowledge as opposed to putting someone else down that is not on the same level. This community exists to help the community as a whole.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Not as of a few months ago. I had my first revision sent back because I did some of the things that were shown in the example capstone papers. I was told they don't do it that way anymore... umm...

I have to chuckle at this because when I did mine I had a lot of anxiety because the model Capstones as well as the template they provided did NOT follow the proper style and I just couldn't quite accept the idea of submitting a paper that I knew was formatted incorrectly! Granted most of the issues I had were minor, but it still bothered me. I exchanged a few emails and had a call or two with my mentor and in the end I was told, "Just follow the template. Students have had great success by doing that".

I did just what they said and passed with flying colors... of course, I think some of it depends on who reviews your papers. I have heard of people accidentally resubmitting unchanged works and passing the second time around.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wish there was a way to see who leaves you rep, positive or negative... since there's not, I always include my screen name. Wish more would do the same.
    da_vato wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone that has left some constructive advice, it was more of a sanity check for me and it has helped.

To everyone else that wants to leave some smart@$$ passive aggressive reputation comments please get a life. If you are so educated please share that knowledge as opposed to putting someone else down that is not on the same level. This community exists to help the community as a whole.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I can't remember the exact details but my buddy here at the office recently completed his BS and his capstone was returned because of some issue. He followed the model capstone and they still complained it was wrong. Told him his term was over and he would have to do it next term. He had to make a big fuss an go up the ladder to make them realize they were wrong.
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to see who leaves you rep, positive or negative... since there's not, I always include my screen name. Wish more would do the same.

I like that idea, I'm going to adopt that, thanks colemic.
  • Options
    exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Usually, you reuse the prior work you have created in any "capstone". That's is the purpose of it, to have a final deliverable of what you have achieved. This was the same with my MSIA. I did not copy-and-paste, per se, but my final deliverable was largely based on previous deliverables and that is actually what we were told to do.

They are looking for the demonstration of accumulated knowledge. That's what you have to prove. Can you tie it all together, connect the dots, prove your point?