Net+ for CCNA students

agreeragreer Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am 1/2 way through Ciscos 4-semester CCNA Accademy offered at my college, what else is there on the net+ that that hasnt covered?

Is the Net+ even worth the time/money when I plan on getting the CCNA soon?

Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'm sure someone will chime in who has a CCNA and agree with that you probably don't need a NET+ if your getting a CCNA.

I know people who have skipped the NET+ and A+ because they focused on some less general certs. Depends upon where you want to end up in your career, but my 5 cents, I don't think you'd need the NET+ if your getting the CCNA.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    I went and got my CCNA and after studying for that I just looked over all the different ports again and that was more than enough studying for the Network+. I took my Network + Exam when I was in the 4th Semester of the Network Academy. I think you should take it just for the extra cert. Yes if you got the CCNA you won't neccessary need the network+ but I think its just another cert you can put on the resume and it will never expire.
  • fredd13fredd13 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm another thats part way through the CCNA, that thinking about taking the N+

Two of my class mates already have the N+ and they both say that I could do it. Just read a little on areas that are not touched on much in the CCNA and then do the exam...

Fred
    icon_cool.gif
    Gained Foundation Degree in Computer Network Management
  • GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Germangiant, I want a do the same thing you did, I just took the CCNA and I would like to take the NET+ just to have another cert. What do you think I should study or review?
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I would recommend getting your Network+ cert for two reasons.

1. The certification never expires.

2. The Network+ along with an A+ can be used as an elective for your MCSA certification (if you should decide to go that route as well).

I took the Network+ beta during semester 4. It was a breeze compared to the CCNA exam. I'd say go for it!
  • SpyWebSpyWeb Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Man, getting the Net+ if you going to get CCNA is a waste of money.
    Net+ is about 220 dollars.
    SpyWeb.jpg

"I Had the Right Answers... The exam had the wrong questions!!!"
    SpyWeb
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It could be an expensive practice test, but it might be worth it just to experience the first certification test panic. I still get the pre-test jitters, but I'm fine once I start the test now that I know what to expect.

You would know a lot of the Net+ material from the first 2 CCNA Academy semesters, but you'd still need to do some additional study.

The one thing -- if you get it before your CCNA it shows progress and growth in your networking career. If you get it after your CCNA -- it could look like you are trying to pad your certifications.

I studied the Net+ stuff to brush up on my networking before doing the CCNA, but decided it wasn't worth the $200 since I figured I'd have the CCNA soon enough.

If you don't mind the money and have the time, I'd say go for it now.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I took the Network+ beta exam which was free. icon_wink.gif And since I took it before my CCNA exam, it acted as a confidence builder for that exam.
  • pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have your CCNA already, don't do the Net+. I agree with the fellow who suggested that it may make it look like you're trying to pad your certs. If whoever is reviewing your resume is prudent, it would absolutely look this way. The CCNA is everything that the Net+ is but harder (save a few insignificant desktop tid-bits).

Funny thing is that the CompTIA exam (as usual) is more expensive. Also, you need to consider why the CompTIA cert doesn't expire. Is it because the technology doesn't change? Nah, I think it's because A) the cert is very much a basic foundation and B) as a marketing approach used to justify the expense for up and coming techs.

The Net+ was the first cert that I ever attempted. This post may seem anti-CompTIA but I will say that studying for the exam helped create a pretty good first step from where to build. It would have been a steeper learning curve to jump right into the CCNA.