Options

Team building/social activities at work

RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does your team/group/department/organization do team building or social activities? Do you attend them?

My company does a lot of company-wide stuff... Picnics, baseball games, etc, but I've noticed that my individual team within my department (10ish people) also does a lot of team building activities.

I think they're a lot of fun; however, boozing is a fairly common theme. I'm not sure how I feel about that because it crosses that line of keeping your personal life separate from work. Also, there's a good possibility of losing composure and blurting out things you may not have said in other circumstances in front of your peers and manager.

For an example, a couple weeks ago we had a team golf trip in the middle of the day as we waited on some other IT work to be done and passed over to us, this week a vendor took us all out for golf and lots of booze, and next week we're having a team building exercise including lots of food and alcohol.

I think it sounds like a blast and I'm happy to be doing fun stuff during the workday; however, I'm just a bit apprehensive about it.

What about you guys?

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think it sounds like you work at a great place and should be taking advantage of it. If you have issues with controlling yourself then don't. It sounds like you don't have control over your actions or are afraid you may slip up and say things that are inappropriate.

If you can't handle your alcohol then don't drink. If you can't pace yourself or set a limit, then don't drink. If you don't know how to monitor your level's of getting bubbly, then don't drink. If you don't think its appropriate, then don't drink.

If you can have 1-3 drinks and remain civilized and pretty clear headed in a social setting and can relax your guard a bit and try to enjoy life, then do so. Do so do so do so.
  • Options
    It's not about being able to control it. One drink is enough for a measurable effect on judgement, so that impacts anyone. My point is more about crossing the line of keeping work separate from your social life.

I know a lot of people that go to great lengths to keep that boundary. Personally, I'm okay with it, but am also new to the company... That's really where the apprehension is coming from.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    My work does the same manner as well.

I will go with it but limit myself to 2 pints and make sure I have plenty of water in between them.
    This way I socialize with them (and who doesnt like free premium beer) but I dont become even the slightest bit buzzed.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I like to keep my social life and work life separate. All of our functions include alcohol though. Just keep the intake reasonable and don't get wasted to the point you'll do something you regret. Drink responsibly!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    RHEL wrote: »
    It's not about being able to control it. One drink is enough for a measurable effect on judgement, so that impacts anyone. My point is more about crossing the line of keeping work separate from your social life.

I don't adhere to that philosophy. Never have and never will. I engage people at work who have good characteristics as friends and try to have friendships with them. I don't do the whole work vs social life thing. My life is my life, Its to short to try to compartmentalize things and prevent myself experiences because of arbitrary boxes. Making good judgements, being aware, educated, and a decent person usually covers issues that would need to cause you to have to separate work from personal life.

And for places where I felt that my work life had to be completely separate then my regular life and go into a 007 mode and hide myself, beliefs, opinions, then those are places I tend not to stay. I understand in keeping certain things private of course... but I don't treat them like their separate things. I know what policies would get me at trouble at work, I know what things are taboo and not professional, but I don't seperate who I am because it's work. So I probably am not a good help for you there. The people at work that like to hang and be friends, I do that with them, those who want to keep it all professional, i only engage them that way... but I don't adhere to it because I heard its a good way to go... I do what is natural and just make sure I make smart, educated choices.

EX: I still hang with about 10- co-workers between my last 4 positions. We go out, drink, shoot the %$&^%, watch sports, shoot pool and have a good time. They are my friends now, so I'm glad we still hang, regardless if we haven't worked with each other in years.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good one Chitown! People act like everyone one at work is a douchebag. I was the best-man at a wedding 3 weeks ago, and guess where I met this dude? Xerox babe! People act like work is one holy place you cant have friends, cut it out. There are great and stupid people everywhere, including your family.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's not necessarily that you can't have friends at work, I've met some cool people I still talk to, it's just keeping things professional. A souring personal relationship can ruin work very quickly. Something I'd rather avoid.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do get where you're coming from. I have a coworker who was a roommate back in college, right now; I really can't stand him because he's condescending with a bad attitude. You'll think we'll get along because of our college history. I get along with the new guys I just met at work, nothing more than that. Also, If you're not clean and tidy sorry I can't hangout with you, no disrespect lol.
  • Options
    It's not necessarily that you can't have friends at work, I've met some cool people I still talk to, it's just keeping things professional. A souring personal relationship can ruin work very quickly. Something I'd rather avoid.

That's the point exactly. For many people, work is what you do to afford your personal life. Work is necessary to pay the bills and keep everything else running smoothly.

Once you start mixing the two, you risk jeopardizing your career. Sometimes it is best to keep work (the things you do, the people you interact with, etc) at the workplace. Still, I'll probably have a beer or two with them. Miss enough team building activities and they'll stop seeing you as part of the team.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think if you are uncomfortable taking part in the activities then you should limit your exposure to them. However social time outside of the office could make your career as well as break it. Don't miss an opportunity just because if feels like it is to personal. Do what is comfortable for you.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I'm going to echo what others have already said and give my spin.

Sounds like you are working at a place that is trying to build team work and relationships between co-workers, which is great and really unheard of these days.

As for the booze, limit your intake to two beers and quit. Or don't drink at all, like me. IMO, getting wasted at a company function to me shows you can't hold your liquor, and would also suggest that you can't handle other things in your life.

On the other hand, I worked for a company where the management would give away free booze at events because they wanted to see how the employees reacted, who got drunk, who could hold their liquor, and who didn't drink and from there they started to build a profile of employees who they though they could trust and not trust.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown