Options

Resume critique

izzyiz426izzyiz426 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
If you guys can look over my resume and give me some ideas that i could change that would be great. ThanksResume updated loaded.doc

Comments

• Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remove the objective and change to to a professional summary. Objectives are redundant.

Remove the tasks sub-bullet and just list them. Also, try not to think of them simply as "tasks", try to write down "accomplishments" or solutions you implemented.

You setup VLANs on Cisco switches? Go a bit deeper.

"Secured network through VLAN configuration across Cisco and Netgear switches."

This is just an example. You should take time and come up with even better statements. Keep making revisions until it sounds better. Do this for every line on your resume. Make every line earn it's way onto the page.

Also, from a high point of view, when you write your resume, ask yourself, "what do I want the reader to think about me after they have read my resume?" Craft the language and points around this idea.

I personally don't like the term "Previous Positions", I would change that. The general formatting of the resume can use some enhancement as well but I would focus on getting the content nailed down first before you waste 10 hours formatting text only to have the same quality of content in the end. I often write resumes with zero formatting in the beginning.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Solid advice there. "Previous Positions" also struck me as strange. The classic "Work Experience" may be what hiring people expect. Another thing that this resume tells me what you have done, instead of what have you achieved. I want to see how your contributions to your current/past employers made a difference that mattered. This is usually seen in the form of either monetary savings or process improvement. That is what will differentiate you from the thousand of other tech guys out there. Tangible, measurable achievements are the key.

Also, you may want to be more careful when posting DOC files. Your author data wasn't sanitized.
  • Options
    As far as job experience, I don't have that much because I just graduated from college. There are some technical jobs that are not related to IT. Would you put that in your resume? Thanks
  • Options
    odellglanvilleodellglanville Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I need to see how your commitments to your present employers had any kind of difference that mattered.
  • Options
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like that the term "Previous Positions" is gone. All the other comment I made in my previous post still need to be addressed IMO. Summary/profile should be sentences replacing the objective. Your headers seem to be of different sizes.

Keep going, resumes are all about making many revisions.
  • Options
    Thank You, Im having a hard time choosing words that will give the reader exactly what i want them to think. What would be an example of a resume that shows this?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Change Objective to Summary and rewrite it accordingly. "Objective" sections are frowned upon and redundant from what I understand.

This thread is a great example of a properly formatted and written resume:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91333-resume-time.html
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    The formatting is very good but some people may think its too wordy? Is that true? Also I thought that most HR departments want resumes to be one page? Is that true? thank you !