Options

Want to learn to program (python)

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
I want to learn to program and make something useful, but I don't know what to make, what is something you made in python to help make your job easier that I could try to replicate?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Instead of wanting to make something, I would focus on the basics of how programming works.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I'm doing that now via a couple of different websites
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm a beginner too and what I have been doing is mostly manipulating text files to start with.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    YouTube "thenewboston python" a bunch of short videos but a great place to start.
  • Options
    routergodsroutergods Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The lessons on Code Academy are pretty good and hands on. All the lessons are free and when you complete the course, you can add the achievement to your LinkedIn profile.
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    The battle of wanting actual issues to solve to help learn, but wanting to learn before running into actual issues.

I guess it depends on the type of work you do. I personally do a lot of parsing text and interacting with SSH/Telnet. If you're into that sort of thing, play around with paramiko/exscript and regular expressions. Maybe web or django too.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First start with the basics:

-Introspection (getting help within Python)
    -Syntax
    -Variables
    -Math with Python
    -Operators
    -Conditionals: if, elif, else
    -Data structures: lists, dictionaries, tuples
    -Loops: for, while
    -Functions
    -Importing functionality

I recommend CodeAcademy - It's great for mastering the above concepts. Just don't make the mistake of assuming you'll be useful with Python once you finish it. Taking the next step (for me at least) involved understanding OOP at a basic level and getting familiar with libraries you believe you'll use often. For me, it was the Requests HTTP library when I was first starting out.

Anyone can edit pre-written scripts and stumble through it without gaining understanding. But if you first seek true understanding, you'll find that you have greatly expanded your skillset and it can take your career to the next level.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some good posts on this thread I agree instead of jumping the gun it's best to get a good grounding and foundation. Regarding Python It depends what areas of computing you are interested in.

I have dabbled a little bit with it myself and have creating some scripts similar to BASH scripts form automating administration tasks. Nothing to fancy just backup scripts and adding users.

I am also learning Bash scripting at the same time what I do is fire up evernote make notes and create scripts I am currently reading a few books on the subject matter. Bash cookbook, wicked cool shell scripts that kind of thing what I do is write a program, analyze the code and comment it so I know how it works and try and build upon it.

I didn't really like Code Academy I didn't suit that style of learning and found that I either wasn't taking in the information or didn't feel hands on enough.

Find out what you want to make if it's games then research into games.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great post thanks for providing a lot of lessons learned.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've started going through the MIT CS intro course and I can't stop watching the videos. I really love knowing I am getting the best instruction while learning programming and Python. Good times!
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Heres a couple more resources a buddy of mine recommended that I tell you guys about.

Google Python Class:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTZoB2Vjuk&list=PLC8825D0450647509
    SecurityTube SPSE:
    Python for Pentesters and Hackers « SecurityTube Trainings
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used Code Academy, this together with few more online resources like the official Python documentation https://docs.python.org/2/contents.html
    is more than enough to get you started.
  • Options
    Disas_mainDisas_main Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't have big experience with Python. But I can name a few examples of programs that I had written to help me. I want to say that I'm not IT professional(still). One program I write was called google hunter(never released it). Basic you type a company name and website and it start using google dorks to search for sensitive information, pdfs, potentiality vulnerabilities everything. Another program I had write was program that exploits SQL injection vulnerabilities in websites(Oracle and MySQL database). But Python is powerful language you can write pretty nice programs in it.

For learning source I recommend this:
    Learn Python
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll agree with OP, sometimes it's difficult to learn something new without a real world framework or context .
    If you can spare a couple dollars, maybe get Python for Unix and Linux administrators .

In the beginning it can be rough, as you don't have the mental framework for it.
    Sometimes you might be tempted to dive (a-la "sink or swim" ) and find yourself over your head trying to figure out everything on your own.
    If you find this to be the case, then you should probably adopt a "learn by imitation" approach until you can start forging your own path and building your own things.
    That is, Don't be afraid to use the training wheels :)
    Learn Python the Hardway emphasizes this, by just making you type things out at first then challenges you to think critically and change some things.
    It won't make you 133t h@x0r overnight, (took me about two weeks) , but you'll be able to read more beginner type material.
    At this point, from knowing nothing, there's lots of beginner resources for free, try those out conscientiously, then skim some more advanced material.
    Then it might make sense paying for a class or workbooks.
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Going to co-sign the Codeacademy Python course.
  • Options
    Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Once you have some practice, you can apply it to the The Python Challenge site. It has some pretty interesting challenges.
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As an absolute beginner I found A Byte of Python really useful.
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221

I second this book. It's easy to read, and the author knows how to teach.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security