Options

Thanks to this forum I found a new job!

jam3s121jam3s121 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I started studying for A+ 801/802 in March, after recovering from shoulder surgery for what was already 4months with 4 more on the way I knew I wouldn't be physically fit for the fitness test to become a police officer like my associates is in (Criminal Justice) and I also knew the path to becoming a police officer most likely would not be quick. I came to this forum asking about IT jobs because somehow at my police department internship I ended up fixing computers and other odds ends with my supervisors computer..

I passed A+ in April, took MSA Operating Essentials that month too because I had some 20% off coupon and began studying for Net+. Along this time I applied for various help desk jobs and some summer "intern" IT positions for schools and such. Didn't get much back but I found a interesting ad for a IT consulting company (they outsource IT services mainly but also provide level 1 & 2 support) needing a intern. I applied and somehow everything worked out perfectly in the interview, they needed a flexible person willing to learn and be molded into what they need and seemed to fit the bill.

They hired me for a 6 month position with possibility of salaried position. I'm really just excited about this job because I can get hands on with a lot of stuff I've been studying and want to study.. I was getting to the point in Net+ where nothing really made sense because I didn't have the stuff in front of me.

Anyways somewhere along the lines I got some great advice here about test taking skills, which tests to take, what to include in my resume, and other things and just wanted to say thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great Job!

Keep at it. Also I don't know where you are located but keep in mind Police departments have IT staff and your criminal justice degree might go over well in interviews. Just something to consider.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dude that's awesome!! Keep at it and continue climbing the cert ranks!
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on your new job!! Keep moving up icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    That's what it's about. Hustle, get your work done, and be ready for opportunities when they arise. Good on you. Congrats.
  • Options
    noki42noki42 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Woohoo, congrats!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the gig.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Congrats!icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    That's an awesome story! Congratulations, best of luck, and keep us posted on your endeavors!
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    That's great news. So what does your new job entail ?
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    jam3s121jam3s121 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys!!

Its interning at a Managed Services IT company, its relatively small with only 9 employee's including the 3 partners who are level 4 service techs for the company also. Most of the helpdesk level 1 stuff is outsourced through a company called Continuum, right now I am mainly the person that organizes helpdesk tickets and ensures the tickets that are escaluated to us are responded too, answering clients who call directly for help as well as helping the server admins. Yesterday I was able to go to a client side with a server admin and we installed two new HP servers and installing vmware vsphere.

I have a lot of downtime so I've started getting ready to study for a new test, I am mostly in the office with alone.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    jam3s121 wrote: »
    I started studying for A+ 801/802 in March, after recovering from shoulder surgery for what was already 4months with 4 more on the way I knew I wouldn't be physically fit for the fitness test to become a police officer like my associates is in (Criminal Justice) and I also knew the path to becoming a police officer most likely would not be quick. I came to this forum asking about IT jobs because somehow at my police department internship I ended up fixing computers and other odds ends with my supervisors computer..

I passed A+ in April, took MSA Operating Essentials that month too because I had some 20% off coupon and began studying for Net+. Along this time I applied for various help desk jobs and some summer "intern" IT positions for schools and such. Didn't get much back but I found a interesting ad for a IT consulting company (they outsource IT services mainly but also provide level 1 & 2 support) needing a intern. I applied and somehow everything worked out perfectly in the interview, they needed a flexible person willing to learn and be molded into what they need and seemed to fit the bill.

They hired me for a 6 month position with possibility of salaried position. I'm really just excited about this job because I can get hands on with a lot of stuff I've been studying and want to study.. I was getting to the point in Net+ where nothing really made sense because I didn't have the stuff in front of me.

Anyways somewhere along the lines I got some great advice here about test taking skills, which tests to take, what to include in my resume, and other things and just wanted to say thanks!

Congrats, way to go, you are on your way, keep with it!

I find myself in the same position and have been corresponding back and forth with a company that does the exact same thing and just received notification, they want to take it to the next level, so hopefully I am on my way as well!

Good Job and also, I have to throw my thanks in the mix for this forum, it is amazing how much it helps you out.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.