Options

IT Job anxiety? Help/ rant

SojuBrewMasterSojuBrewMaster Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I'm actually lined up for an "initial" interview soon but I guess the fear of the unknown and self-doubt is slowly sinking in. I have a few Comptia Certs and my Bachelors in Information Systems will be completed in a few months, but right now I feel as if I don't "know" anything. Sure I took the time to study and pass the exams but as for hands-on experience I'm seriously lacking.

Is this normal? I'm assuming On the job Training is offered if I am indeed hired but I still am worried. I guess I just wanted to let everybody know I'm actually quite intimidated in trying to switch career fields.

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't sweat it, if they brought you on for an initial interview and you are lacking in real world experience then it must be something that they are aware of from the outset already.

Also I wouldn't "let everybody know I'm actually quite intimidated in trying to switch career fields" in fact quite the opposite is required. You must be looking forward to and projecting an outward confidence in changing careers.

Call a spade a spade, you have little real-world experience but you just need that foot in the door and you will make the best of the opportunity given half a chance.

Tell that little devil on your shoulder that says "You are not good enough yet" to feck off.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Every company does training with new hires especially for entry-level positions. It's part of the onboarding process.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am also working on a career change. I have no doubt that I will have the same fellings when the time comes to interview.

In the end nobody was born working in an IT department. We all have to start somewhere.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can do this. Don't worry about all of this stuff because you'll learn. If you have doubts about things, try to learn about the stuff on your own so you can build your confidence. Always try to welcome new opportunities to learn things, even when you feel the way that you do.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I go through this every time

"Normal" is relative, I think it's normal to have a certain amount of this. However too much may indicate you have some form of anxiety. Some people can't control it, I am one of those people and it has haunted my career. With medication and working out (cardio) I can manage these feelings quite well.

Do you get these types of feelings often? If this is just a one off scenario then I would probably just roll and keep things in perspective. I believe some of these comes down to self worth and how you feel about yourself. Most people who get a lot of anxiety (that I have seen) don't believe in themselves and have low confidence. Maybe this is due to the anxiety I honestly don't know. It's the chicken egg cliche.

The bottom line is you can do this, while it maybe uncomfortable you will learn the job. Somethings you will be good at others your won't. It's never as good as it seems nor as bad.
  • Options
    SojuBrewMasterSojuBrewMaster Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much everyone for taking the time to read and the awesome comments that you provided! I'm trying to "trick" myself that the anxiety I'm feeling is actually excitement!
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I felt like this when I got my first interview for a real IT job. I felt like I was unprepared and would fall short once I got started. There's usually some training and job shadowing once you get started so be sure to take notes, ask questions, and be confident.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna