Options

How long was your longest job interview?

CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
I applied for a new job about a month ago. It's an international corporation with their HQ in my area. I had to complete a Hirevue as the initial interview. I used the iPad app but it basically asks you questions and does a video recording of your answers. It then uploads your answers (without you even seeing them) and sends them to the hiring manager for their review. Well I must have done good enough on it since they want me to come in for a face to face.

I was informed I would be interviewing with 6 people total but two at a time. They said the interview would take about 5 hours so I am just curious has anybody ever had a job interview that took that much time. Most of the time I've been in and out within about 2 or so hours. Just curious what is there to talk about that'll take 5 hours.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Some companies will have you take tests and such to assess you further. Others will have you meet with the team members you will be working with to assess your personality as well as how well you mesh with the current team.

It will seem overwhelming, but all in all will likely will pass rather quickly. Do the interviews include lunch? The entire time you will be being evaluated, but at the same token you have a great opportunity to interview them. ASK LOTS of questions.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    My the longest one was 1 hour on phone screening, and 5 hours at face-to-face. I had a co-worker interview with Amazon, it required him to be onsite for the entire day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The longest one that I've had was two hours and it was with the CIO and the helpdesk manager.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    It was for another IT managers post - they required all candidates to be there from 08:00hrs to 17:00hrs. So not only were we being interviewed for the post (by about 5 people), seeing how the organisation worked, but also we were interacting with the people we were up against.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a 30 minute phone screen, 1 hour phone screen, 5 hour in person interview, and a 1 hour phone screen. They still didn't pick me for the job... lol It was a Windows job and the Linux manager was saying "Can I hire him?" but the Windows manager declined... I'm pretty sure that was age discrimination.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Usual interview at my current place runs 3-5 hours. You get a tour and speak to multiple parties anywhere from 30 to 60 min.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Longest was definitely when a company flew me out to Baton Rouge for an in person interview. Google was the second longest and the process was definitely the longest I've been through.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    My current job consisted of 3 interviews each at more than 2 hours. The first one involved some basic skills tests. It then took them 3 months to go through all of their candidates and finally hire me.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    longest interview i had was 2 1+ hour phone interviews, then came in for a 5 hour in-person interview....didnt get the job tho...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Orange County Sheriff's Department easily. It's broken up into several days and you have to go through a lot of different interviews.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    6 hours of face-to-face interviews with members of the team
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've done a few all day interviews. Usually broken up into multiple sessions with different people.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Several hours, normally if the position requires me to start losing money I forgo the follow up interviews. Any more than a few hour interview I get scared and leave. :)
  • Options
    The Silent AssassinThe Silent Assassin Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My longest interview started at 8 in the morning and lasted until about 2:15 PM. It was for a security job and it involved having one one one interviews from my potential manager all the way up to the CIO of the company, 6 interviews in one day. According to the company they did this for all IT jobs, even the service desk, to keep applicants from having to come back for multiple interviews.
  • Options
    macboy81macboy81 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i went for a job last november and I had to be on site for first part at 8:15am this was scenario about managing staff absence then i had to wait around for nearly 2 hours before going into a scenario with the other 3 candidates for the job watched by people in the background while 4 of us discussed scenario this was followed by another interview with 3 members of management i didnt leave til about 5pm longest job ever pipped at the post by guy with better man management skills icon_sad.gif based on first scenario answers
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    8 hours at a networking company in San Jose a couple of years ago. I had to interview with 7 different people for 1-2 hours each. I ended up turning down the job after being offered it but it was great practice.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Longest - 1.5 hours over the phone to include interview and two placement exams.

Shortest - 5 minutes over the phone. Got called on Thursday lunch time and was asked to take the job moreso than an interview. Stopped by and signed the papers on Friday and started Monday.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everybody for your responses. I guess there all day interviews are pretty normal. I am just curious what there is to talk about and will they be providing me with lunch :D

The interview has been scheduled for next Tuesday started at 10:00 am. I should get the itinerary tomorrow so I will see the layout and the people I'll be speaking with. I guess I can get on google/facebook/linkedin and start looking them up.