Frame Relay Switch: Connect vs Frame-Relay Route command?

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is the difference between "Connect" and "frame-relay route" command when configuring a Frame Relay Switch ?

Comments

• VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    As far as syntax? Or what they do?

From what I know, they do the same thing in a Frame Switch configuration and just that one is a newer command and one is considered a legacy command. (Connect command I believe is newer than the Frame route command.)

When I was doing my Frame-Relay labs in GNS3, I would setup a router as a Frame-Relay Switch and I would use the Frame route command to build the routes between the different PVCs. But the Connect command does the same thing, just a little different syntax. And I think the Connect command is the newer command.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Connect is a better command, but when learning it, I think using frame-relay route is better for understanding. Once you understand it and just want to set up a frame-relay switching lab, use connect.

Connect makes your configuration take half as much time. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I undertstand nobody can say what might be on the ICND2 exam, but I was messing around with FR last night and wondered what was more important to know, route switching, point to point, or point to multipoint?
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I undertstand nobody can say what might be on the ICND2 exam, but I was messing around with FR last night and wondered what was more important to know, route switching, point to point, or point to multipoint?

I can safely say without giving out info from the test that the Frame Switch material is not on CCNA. You just need to know how to configure Frame Relay from the Corporate side.

What goes on in the "cloud" is for advanced studies when you get into ISP stuff.

Knowing how to setup your Frame Switch is a great way to study and to see the packets on both ends. But building a Frame Switch is not a concern for CCNA test.

What you need to know:

Show commands for Frame Relay such as show frame-relay map & show frame-relay pvc and understand how to read that information to gain info or solve an issue.

Configuration commands such as the frame-relay map ip <A.B.C.D> <DLCI#> and the frame-relay interface-dlci <DLCI#>

And know and understand Frame Relay and how it works. You will be fine with that.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.