Options

Appearing in CISSP-ISEP exam outside DoD (from Pakistan)

asadzzasadzz Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
This may feel odd considering the grounded nature of the certification but I plan to appear in CISSP-ISEP exam in near future. I have got excellent suggestions from the forum for preparation of the exams. Two things beats me for which I'm looking for answers to help clear the confusion

1. Is there a probable reason for individuals who outside DoD , and govt jobs e.g your regular info sec professional working in bank wants to peruse this certification, this forum is heavily commented from people who have either worked or working for gov/dod and have passed the exam. There is not much ref of people outside govt who have come to this forum and passed the exam or perhaps I somehow missed those threads. So this concerns me in regard that people outside the govt/dod body of work / job description should not go for this certification? Is this assessment accurate?

2.In all the links given under CIB, how much one familiarized with...I mean i have seen acronyms as long as 2 lines and ISO/IEC standard that are to be purchased. More PMP and other books that are refer like like the certification wants you to go prepare them beforehand?

3. How much you have to retain to mem? I mean the total course ware is good 6000-7,000 pages. How much Is one suppose to read. e.g cmmi levels, dod framework and policies (you can't expect to memorize directive date )

I appreciate if someone can answers these questions geared up to my specific case (which is to appear in this exam with no prior-govt background). For those who are interested why? I'm in love with the contents. Its pure beauty!

For mods: correction it title its ISSEP. I apologize

Comments

• Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    asadzz wrote: »
    So this concerns me in regard that people outside the govt/dod body of work / job description should not go for this certification? Is this assessment accurate?
    It's not that people outside of it should not pursue it, it's that people will not see return on investment from the certification outside the DoD (or, in some cases, even inside the DoD). The knowledge learned in it has been valuable to me, but the certification means nothing to my employer or any commercial company I've spoken with. I do not work primarily with Federal clients.
    In all the links given under CIB, how much one familiarized with?
    Basically, everything under the CIB. It's big, in depth, and deep. Have - at very least - a "broad strokes" understanding of every document listed. A whole lot of knowledge can be covered in 150 questions.
    How much you have to retain to mem?
    Very little of the test is black and white. This is definitely not a memorization test where you'll get questions like "what year was the Federal Information Security Management Act passed?"; they aren't testing memorized data, they're testing your understanding. That's the most important part. Knowing that the answer to the previous question is 2002 does absolutely nothing to help you as a Security Engineer. Understanding the current impact of FISMA, however, does.
    For mods: correction it title its ISSEP. I apologize
    I accept your apology, though I am not a mod.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    As of today, there are 916 CISSP-ISSEPs in the USA, 19 elsewhere, and none in Pakistan.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I agree there is no return on investment. I usually target certification with the highest hit on Dice.com.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.