Options

Should I be looking for a different job, or stay she's gather experience?

RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, just wondering what you guys think on whether I should be looking for a different job/employer.

Quick background: I have A+, Network+, and CCENT. I am currently working towards CCNA & MCSA. I am a Microsoft person through and through. However, in May I was hired as a helpdesk support / IT Assistant in an Apple environment. It's my first real IT job, and my starting pay is okay ($40k).

I really want to get into a Microsoft job and work myself up to be a sysadmin, but I fear I don't have enough experience. Would you guys recommend me staying as Apple helpdesk support to gain experience while I get MCSA (hopefully by Christmas), or should I start applying for jobs in a Microsoft office straight away?

Well, what I mean to say is should I be looking for another job while I'm working at my current role/cert, or should I hold off on it until I at least pass 70-410?

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What type of experience are you getting at your current job? Is it just end-user support or are you remotely troubleshooting networks, servers, firewalls, etc.?

If you're getting that kind of experience there, I would stick around for at the bare minimum 6 months. Remember though, while certs are a good thing and are important, experience>certs.
  • Options
    Mostly end-user support. I mostly set up user workstations (iMac and MacBook), and troubleshoot issues with such. I set-up and remove network access through our LDAP server, but that's about it for server stuff. I have the ability to look into all of our server settings, but my boss is the one that mostly handles all server issues.

I understand I've only been here for less than three months, but I do want to get into a Microsoft office. Perhaps it's best to hold off on looking for a job until I get MCSA, or at least pass 70-410 first, and get as much experience in the meantime?
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    With the number of Windows admins vs. Apple admins, I would think your current path would be a financially worthwhile endeavor in the long run. However, if you are insistent on Windows administration, study and pass the MCSA, then begin on the MCSE. You are getting experience in IT, and with both Apple and M$ experience you should be OK.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like the environment you are in and I think it can be leveraged. I hope you stick it out as long as your boss is nice enough and your peers are good to work with.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I like the environment you are in and I think it can be leveraged. I hope you stick it out as long as your boss is nice enough and your peers are good to work with.

The entire IT department is actually just me and my boss, and he's really nice, and patient with teaching me things. That's a huge upside in my current position.
  • Options
    FidelityFidelity Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you only have 3 months of experience you should stay. You are unlikely to find a better job. It is more likely that you would actually end up with less access. I would wait 6 months to 1 year and then try to find a job in a Windows environment if that is what you want. You should be able to target tier 2 support positions at that point.

Telling us you make $40k, but not the state and city doesn't really tell us anything. $40k in Idaho is a lot different than $40k in California. The former would be considered very well paid, while at the latter, definitely not so much.
  • Options
    Fidelity wrote: »
    Telling us you make $40k, but not the state and city doesn't really tell us anything. $40k in Idaho is a lot different than $40k in California. The former would be considered very well paid, while at the latter, definitely not so much.

$40k in Vancouver, Canada. We're a ridiculously expensive city to live in, so $40k is not much here at all. But I think you're right in that I should wait at least 6-12 months and obtain my MCSA and set up a home lab.