Options

Can't decide between two degrees?

kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Last semester was my final semester at community college and now I am moving on to finish up the final years of my degree. I have two choices that I am teetering between. There is a degree in Business Education with a focus in Information Technology, or a degree in Information Technology.

I am leaning towards the Business degree, mostly because I've been blessed with the chance to work as both a Field Technician and a Help Desk Support Analyst for the past three years. I have taken a few computer classes and most of them just rehash what I have already learned on the field or through my certification studies. With that in mind, I thought it might be a better use of my time and money to learn the business side of things. I know there is often a gap in communication and understanding when it comes to business vs IT, so I felt it would be useful to bridge that gap.

Does this strategy seem sound? I wouldn't want it to look weird on a resume or give off the impression that I am looking to get into the business side of things. I wouldn't mind a management position in the IT field, but I am certainly not interested in a complete career change.

Or would people suggest that I get the IT degree? If anything, I thought it might be good to complete this degree and then get the IT degree through WGU.

Comments

• Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    I would probably look at some of the proespective jobs you are interested in and which degrees they list as a requirement. At the end of the day, you are correct that you can get into IT with a non-IT degree (and in some cases with no degree at all) but you would probably want to look at the job landscape currently and see what the requirements are in the positions.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    It seems that a lot of them require a degree that is related to the IT field. Do you think this would qualify? I would like it to compliment my 3+ years of experience in the actual field of IT, but if it'll just look out of place then I have to take that into consideration too.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    kbowen0188 wrote: »
    There is a degree in Business Education with a focus in Information Technology, or a degree in Information Technology.

What school is this? We can give you a better answer after looking at the programs.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It seems like the curriculum of the Information Systems degree at my local university. I think you'll be fine. Do you know what area of IT you plan to specialize in? You can always pursue certifications later on to tailor to specific technologies. I've had many senior IT personnel tell me that it's always a good idea to take business classes.
  • Options
    I have no idea yet. Right now I am just trying to build a lot of base skills (working on CCENT, studying Linux and SQL) just to see what strikes my fancy.