Have you ever started down a certification path only to find out.......

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
You realized it was a huge waste of time?

I'll be honest for a while there I was hell bent on the PMP and ITIL. But after going through the material I realized what a joke it is. I'm not saying the methodology is worthless, but the material as a whole is just too much and downright goofy.

For instances the PMP teaches you about all these plans, which some a really important, like costing and time management. But the sub documents are just over the top. Not to mention I have worked with several PMP's and they are so ridged and by the book, when something comes out of process they don't know how to handle it.

ITIL is similiar, both have very good points, but a lot of what this framework spews is the devil in IT. They are into pushing IT into a utility like electric or gas, which means MSP's and other entities as such. I personally think IT is another part of the business and should be included like finance, accounting, human resources, marketing, etc. I think this framework is so high level and COST so much DANG much money to implement it's really not worth it.

I remember back in the earlier 2000's I worked for a company who tried to implement ISO 9001 (quality management). After one year it cost so much damn money they ended up pulling the plug on the initiative and went forward. The company is still doing really well.

Thoughts?

Have you ever deep dove into something that later on you realized that you don't agree with it or the material almost annoys you?

Comments

• Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Can't speak from the perspective of ITIL pr PMP since I am not familiar with those, but I think I can understand the feeling of diving into an exam and then realizing you would rather work on other stuff. For me, I felt this with most of the Microsoft exams I started studying for which is why I stuck to the networking and security side of the house. The two MS exams I took at look at where Windows 7 (70-680?) and the Windows Server 2012 series on CBT Nuggets and just didn't feel motivated to get through either.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yup...back in 2002\2003 convinced myself I had to do Cisco though I had never seen, let alone touch, a router. Wasted a whole year and two flunked CCNA exams before giving up. Then went on a "I wanna be a hacker\coder" phase.....of course I wanted to learn every language and write every exam..........................................

Let's just say I'm now focussing on databases and, to a much smaller extent, security and project management - all areas I actually have some daily work in.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Z so true

I went through that service management phase. 3000 dollars later I am QA, BA, App support tech and everything else not service management related LOL.

Good times~
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At my last job our project manager was so by the book that she'd let a project linger forever for the sake of not making a change to the plan. I've started and stopped a lot of different studies due to a lack of general direction. A lot of doing everything usually leads to priorities that constantly change. I'm starting to find my stride though and am getting that general direction (I think).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I kinda feel this way going through CCDA/DP....most of the topics covered in the exam are pretty easy if you've been in the field for a couple years or if you passed the CCNP
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes! I think it depends on everyone's individual situation though. I started studying CompTIA Security+ after I got my CCNA. The topics were very easy and I didn't feel challenged. Once I discovered the price of the test I said the heck with it. I read the entire book and it was good for what it was but IT IS simply an entry level cert to introduce you to the security world and the technology. I don't have a desire to go into a security role so I abandoned it, it was a huge waste of my time.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most of the reason ITIL fails in a company - fear of change and the cost in implementing the tools, teams, and overall process. I looked into ITIL for a little when the team I was on got moved into the "Service Management Organization" and after looking at a few chapters of material I said nah, the Foundations is all I really need / care about and moved on.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I felt the same about ITIL when going through it and tbh, those feelings haven't changed. It was however looked upon very postively by recruiters when I was changing jobs. It was a nessecary evil that set me apart from other candidates so those few weeks that I bothered to study for it were worth it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Have you ever started down a certification path only to find out....... You realized it was a huge waste of time?

To be honest, No... I may have found it boring, mind-numbing, long-winded. But no, at least not that I can remember.

Most, if not all, of my professional certifications that I have attained have always been related to my job role or responsibility at the time. It takes up too many resources (time and money) to study for something that doesn't relate to what I do.

The only qualification possibly that I'd change would be my degree. It was in Computing (Software Engineering), I ended up in support, so if anything I would have changed my degree track to something more relevant. But hind-sight is a wonderful thing :)

To be honest, I see the value in ITIL and Project management, as long as it doesn't stifle innovation and creativity, as let's face it things rarely go according to plan especially if people are involved :)
  • lopezilopezi Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting down a certification path where I often think, "I know this stuff, I have the experience, why put myself through a process of validating my experience via the measurement others have defined...", but unfortunately the measurement others have defined is what people use as their selection criteria. I have worked with people in the past that were project managers solely on the premise of PMP, not that they were truly aware of the dynamics of orchestrating a project...merely there to "check the boxes" and make sure they could generate the correct artifact (project plan, check...risk register, check....weekly status reports to upper mgmt., check...). So, for me, I'm walking into it not necessarily thinking it's a waste of time but more of a necessary evil, if you will.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes I kind of felt that way when I first started studying for the CCENT. Never really configured any routers except in labs. I am studying for it again because of handed down responsibility from my job (CUCM administration)

I really wanted to get into Security at one point but realized I probably would never get a job doing strictly that so I stopped trying get materials on CISSP or GIAC plus the cost of the exams
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would have to agree with you, and being an MBA grad as yourself it is indeed very painful. For whatever reason this is what the tech industry wants and is increasingly shown in job descriptions. I had an interview where the ITIL was valued more than an MBA. Absurd!!
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah i have. Security plus. Read the book twice and decided to go for CCNA security instead. S+ is a complete rip off too.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • DefiledDefiled Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, before making my decision, I was seriously putting in thought into doing the CompTIA trio.. When I looked at the material and cross-checked it against the exam costs, then I just 'threw in the towel'

I know in the US they have a high demand for CompTIA certifications regarding entry level jobs, however in my whereabouts, there's rarely the case. Even then, most entry level jobs here provide scripts to their employees.
    Not exactly relevant, but I don't know how CompTIA get off charging ridiculous prices for such basic exams. The amount spent on A+ exams is nearly equal, if not then slightly less than the CCNA. At least Microsoft charge reasonable prices for their entry level exams (MTA). Just a shame their books (MOAC) are ridiculous prices. I could just get a 7 day trial with CBT Nuggets and that'd easily compensate for the MOAC book.
    Current:
    National Diploma | I.T (Systems Support & Networking)
    Working Towards:
    CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate | Routing & Switching | Security
    BSc (Hons) Computer Networks (Management | Security)
  • pandoso360pandoso360 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldnt call it a complete waste of time but it is an expensive lecture on stuff that most managers talk about but few really know what they are saying.
    If I could go back in time, I probably wouldnt do them again.
    But then again is fun to see companies swearing they do "ITIL" when in reality one cant do "ITIL"