Options

iSCSI and DCB

ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
I came across DCB today and was really excited about the feature. But I was wondering, do I have to share the LAN and SAN network with DCB, or can I simply keep just SAN traffic but utilize the DCB feature? From my understanding, the DCB feature basically will pause the traffic instead of dropping the packets making the iSCSI traffic more reliable. This is how it's done in FCoE to my knowledge. I might be looking at this all wrong. Maybe DCB isn't needed if the SAN network is dedicated to just storage traffic.

Basically, I'm trying to create a SAN environment with iSCSI because of cost. Anything other protocol like FC or FCoE the cost for the setup increases quite a bit. I know since iSCSI is IP based, dropped packets can be an issue. I know I can configure QoS, but the iSCSI traffic won't be shared with other resources. I plan on utilizing Nexus 5Ks for the switching end.
Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.

Comments

• Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We got nothing on this, huh?
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.