Options

What should I do?

NightBlade09NightBlade09 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to become a Network Engineer

I have my CCNA, a two year degree in Network Admin, and two years of help desk experience but it's a dead end job. Should I apply for a help desk with another company and work my way up or search all around the US for Networking jobs requiring no networking experience?

I appreciate any advice

Comments

• Options
    subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I were you I would try to get a NOC job. If you are open to relocating it shouldn't be too hard to find a job.
  • Options
    Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Similar situation here. How is working in a NOC? Do they make you work long shifts? Are you allowed to study during downtime?

My help desk job forces me to stay busy the entire 9 hours I'm there, but I'm not learning very much.
  • Options
    subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Paul,

Each place varies on schedule and work place rules. Pretty much stuff you have to find out during an interview.

Generally though you're going to be in some type of shift work. Both NOCs that I've worked in have been 12 hour shifts. Studying during down time is pretty much dependent on the culture of the company.
  • Options
    Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SmithozzieSmithozzie Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I currently just hold my CCNA (2/3rds the way to CCNP) and have a associates in Cisco Networking technology. I just got hired on as a Network Admin.

If I were you I would be looking for a NOC job, Jr. Network Admin, or Network Admin... I would apply to all of these until one takes you, once you get your foot in the door then you can use that experience to move up further or get another job.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    NightBlade09NightBlade09 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to search for NOC jobs around the country.