Options

I dont understand this? wireshark no longer prohibited?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Wow does this say that wireshark is for anyone even the bad countries to use
for BAD? huh? am I reading this correctly since it can descrypt ISAKMP and SSL? huh?

[h=1]Wireshark Export Restrictions[/h]The Wireshark network protocol analyzer is open source software that contains strong encryption. Specifically, it has the ability to decrypt DCERPC, IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, WPA/WPA2 and a number of other protocols. Its primary distribution point is in the United States, and subsequently falls under U.S. encryption export regulations.
To the best of our knowledge, Wireshark falls under ECCN 5D002 and qualifies for license exemption TSU under Section 734.3(b)(3) of the EAR. There are no U.S. regulations that prohibit you from downloading Wireshark.
Frank Hecker has written a detailed explanation of Mozilla's ECCN. It applies to other open source software, including Wireshark.
Addendum: Prior to January 7, 2011, downloading Wireshark in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Libya, Sudan, and Syria was prohibited. On January 7, 2011 the U.S. Bureau of Industry and Security removed this restriction

Comments

• Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    What difference does it make, you think an export restriction is an effective deterrent for 'bad' countries?
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are no bad countries, only bad People.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    True enough. and I don't know know much export restriction of something like this would actually be effective. A. Have your own coders create one for your purposes. B. Steal the source code. C. Steal a similar tool and add the capabilities you need. D. send someone to a country where it is not EC'd and download, transfer the program back home.

Send someone on a trip to America, download Wireshark onto a USB and fly back, game over.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The restrictions are for selling software and mainly for politicians to get on their soapbox and wag their fingers at another country. And as you can imagine this doesn't really work in the real world, where spies and you know airplanes and VPNs still exist. Heck, Kim Jong-il's son Kim Jong-un studied in Switzerland! so I'm sure everybody was making sure he wasn't taking everything home from Switzerland while he was there!
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    SephStorm wrote: »
    True enough. and I don't know know much export restriction of something like this would actually be effective. A. Have your own coders create one for your purposes. B. Steal the source code. C. Steal a similar tool and add the capabilities you need. D. send someone to a country where it is not EC'd and download, transfer the program back home.

Send someone on a trip to America, download Wireshark onto a USB and fly back, game over.

Or you know, just download it from the website.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    true what you all say but wondered if it was tracked and by IP address prevented but yeah anyone canfly to USA and pick it up and fly back haahaha Just was wondering what this was for? thanks men
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I remember when only US addresses could download the 128bit service packs from Microsoft.

For some excellent history on the battle over crypto as "munitions" I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Crypto-Rebels-Government-Privacy-Digital/dp/0140244328