Options

Looking for some Input

MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
Morning T/E Folks,

This spot seems to be a good place to give and receive advice and I am looking for a little of it myself.

I feel like I'm in a bit of a limbo here and could use some words of advice/encouragement. My problem is, career-wise I have absolutely no idea what to do next.

For a little back story, I am 26 have a 3 year Advanced Diploma in Computer System Technology (I believe this lies somewhere between A.A.S and B.S for you American folks). I have been in the workforce professionally (excluding Internships) for about 4 years. I have had my hands in many things from Deep Windows OS internals, VMWare, *nix, AS400, Networking andthe list can go on. I have progressed from Basic Helpdesk, to Tier 3 Application Support and now System Administrator.

I feel like I have some "Tech A.D.D" I jump on a regular basis between what shiny new thing is of interest to me at the time, Windows could be Tuesday for configuring Group Policy and Wednesday could be configuring ISCSI in OpenFiler. I'm not sure which track/certification I should look at because I have my hands in so many things, let alone stopping myself from switching between what I want to do on a weekly basis. I love technology, as a broad sweeping stroke but unlike many of you here I can't say that I have loved one aspect of technology over the other. I find them all insanely awesome icon_cheers.gif

Tools & Resources are not too much of an issue for me, I'm willing to invest in what I need to succeed. I guess I'm just not sure what success is for me.

If anyone has struggled with this in the past, I'd be really appreciative if you had any advice to offer or quirky and entertaining anecdotes.

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    What do you want long term? I would say the first step would be to find out what your passion is. If you love working with Windows then perhaps the MCSA and MCSE certifications would be a great start, or if your passion is networking then some Cisco certifications would be great. Or if you just love working with everthing and don't know where to focus then just pick up a book and learn something new, who knows maybe you haven't found your true passion yet.
  • Options
    How do you know when you find your true passion?
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Mutata wrote: »

I think one good and pretty quick way is to browse some freely available videos on different IT topics, I'll try to give a specific example. CBT Nuggets posts "Micro Nuggets" which are like short versions of their official videos and these are good ways to learn something about a technology in a couple minutes. Maybe try sifting through a couple Microsoft, Cisco, and Juniper ones, even some security ones, and see which ones you find interesting. If you find it interesting, dig a little deeper through some self research and see if its still interesting to you and if it is, keep pursuing it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cbtnuggets/videos

(just use the search feature to find 'micronugget')
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□

Is there any problem or project you could work on all day and night and not feel like you were working because you loved it so much? Is there any discipline that you find so fascinating that you can't help but learn everything you can about it? Is there a skill you are good at and find so enjoyable that doing the work itself is commendation?

For example - you solve a high-priority problem with technology. The business unit is excited because now they don't have to do it manually, saving them hundred of hours and thousands of dollars in labor and possible mistakes, not to mention morale. Additionally, this was a huge problem that had major implications to the organization and you literally just solved it with a few hours work. Your boss is ecstatic and congratulates you. Your response is 'No problem, I had a blast doing it'.

Edited to add: For context, this is from the perspective of correcting a data issue in a database.

When you find that skill in IT, you will have found your true passion.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    I think I find creating solutions for peoples business needs to be enjoyable in general. I like the reaction of creating business efficiencies in general.

I've done a fair bit of CBT watching, different videos , but I'm not sure I can say I've liked one thing MORE than something else.

Maybe I should just plant my feet somewhere and start?
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, just get started. IMO it's rare to find what you really love right off the bat. The most important thing is to keep learning. Always volunteer for the most challenging tasks, especially if they give you an opportunity to learn.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Maybe the MCSA would be a good place to start?
  • Options
    Yes the MCSA is a pretty solid place to start. I'm kinda in the same boat as I like to play around with a bunch of different technology. I'm going through the CCNA myself, but I'm thinking I might do MCSA right after that.
  • Options
    How do you manage to hold yourself down to studying one thing?
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486

Just pick one and do it? All the other stuff will still be there after you finish with that one thing.
  • Options

I don't lol :D. Just because I'm studying for my CCNA doesn't mean I can't play around with linux or set up my own webserver. Your IT career is a marathon not a race, but like the above poster said the other stuff will be there for you finish.