Options

Does working in a wireless customer care call center count as help desk experience?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
Before going back to school, I worked in a AT&T wireless call center providing billing and first tier tech support. The billing part is pretty simple because people called in with "my bill is too high" or "I can't pay my bill today." However the tech support side included helping people with not being able to make calls, get texts or data along with helping customers connect to WiFi and set up their G-mail or their Yahoo mail on their phones. Basically, does this count as help desk experience?

Comments

• Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I'd say so, if your trying to land an IT help desk role usually your biggest selling point is going to be your softskills and your ability to communicate so by having experience with the wireless call center is a plus.

Even in my Level II position I was told when I was hired that they cared more about my softskills then what I know because they can teach me skills way easier than how to communicate.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I'd say so, if your trying to land an IT help desk role usually your biggest selling point is going to be your softskills and your ability to communicate so by having experience with the wireless call center is a plus.

Even in my Level II position I was told when I was hired that they cared more about my softskills then what I know because they can teach me skills way easier than how to communicate.

Absolutely, though communicating with the general public is different than with internal users, it still should be valued.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM