Options

DB Job Description: Do you know how to go about this?

jumezurikejumezurike Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
My boss is asking me to reconcile a list of IT assets provided by discovery scans with the data base of IT assets that exist in the Configuration Management Data Base. We need the contractor to create a repeatable process by which discovered assets can be added to the DB.

Is there anyone out there that has done this before this is my thought , not for sure how it works?

1. Tenable line of product with python API--Identitfied
2. Extracting the discovered asset from the repository using python (extracting data via API)
3. Create a SQL database TABLE for the records which could be accessed with access front end.
4. Automate the process (ETL). Is there any adapter that can help with this without manual update.

Skills
1. Powershell
2. Python
3. Text manipulation (I can deal with this one well)
4. JSON

OTHER tools
3. ServiceNow
I will like to let you know what I am trying to achieve in a step-by-step fashion.

1. Asset Identification:
We try to inventory the assets: It is like head count with the help of tools.
2. Tools are Tenable (A) and SCCM (B)
3. We proceed to reconcile the assets found.
*************Reconciling the asset is actually its own process**********
4. We must produce matching asset by data manipulation: We compare system A and B and take out the union as reconciled. Otherwise we proceed to the next level.
5. Verifying the unreconciled assets to see the possibility of validating them with other systems (VCM or ECM) if possible.
6. If they can in fact be verified then they can be validated as reconciliation candidates.
7. If in fact any asset or computer can't be validated then it can't be reconciled.
8. All the reconciled asset will then be massaged and cleaned up to go into DB.
9. The ultimate goal is to develop a method of getting update from discovery in an automatic fashion.

Is this comparison, updating and transformation in an automatic fashion to a DB possible ?
One more thing tenable uses Python API. Thanks.