Accepted offer new offer much better comes up

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know this is silly but I wanted to run this by my TE brothers and sisters. Would an email to the manager letting him know I won't be accepting the job is all that is required? ***My start date is next week.

The other positions is about 14 more an hour, I just can't pass it up, not to mention it's a more inline with my natural strengths.

Anyway I have the approval of the misses and the family so I am just wanting to wrap this up as quickly and cleanly as possible.

Thoughts?

Comments

• snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I kinda did something like this. I started a new job and three weeks later a place I interviewed the week before the new job called and asked if I wanted to take the job. I felt bad for jumping ships after only working a month but the money was too good. In your case atleast you haven't started yet. Just make sure everything for the new is official and you have the start date. At the end of the day you have to do whats best for you.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    You need to contact them right away. The longer you let time pass the more they can miss out on other candidates. For 14 more an hours that is more than understandable. yes they will be pissed but its almost 30K more a year and more what you want to do.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    You need to contact them right away. The longer you let time pass the more they can miss out on other candidates. For 14 more an hours that is more than understandable. yes they will be pissed but its almost 30K more a year and more what you want to do.

You need to look out for yourself, period. I am not an advocate of burning bridges, but being concerned with a corporation, who you have not even worked for yet over your own happiness and security is a non issue. The 'you need to contact them right away, they can miss out on other canidates" should be ZERO concern to the OP.

But why email? Man (or woman) up and call them. They took the time to interview you and offer you the job, call them and say you took another offer. Own up to your choices.

-scott
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would try to call first and if you end up having to leave a message then I would follow up with an email. I personally don't like waiting and you did say you want this wrapped up ASAP. Calling would be the quickest way.

Congrats. 14 more an hour is a significant difference.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You need to look out for yourself, period. I am not an advocate of burning bridges, but being concerned with a corporation, who you have not even worked for yet over your own happiness and security is a non issue. The 'you need to contact them right away, they can miss out on other canidates" should be ZERO concern to the OP.

But why email? Man (or woman) up and call them. They took the time to interview you and offer you the job, call them and say you took another offer. Own up to your choices.

-scott

/thread
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□

-scott

This all the way.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This happened to a friend of mine on the first day of a new job. Another job he really wanted called, offered more money and a much closer commute. He said it was awkward being his first day but totally worth jumping over.
  • exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, this is not unusual and the HR should have a secondary lined up. If this is a job that is part of a government contract or a contract in general they just needed people at the time of submittal to be attached to the contract so they can say they have the talent. But, people come and go.

From my past experiences, be sure to call the up and talk to them. It's more professional and harder for them to hold a personal grudge. You never know who knows whom now a days and some IT circles are smaller than you think.