Options

Is disabling cdp on your entire network a bad idea or good security practice?

StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
To me it doesn't seem like cisco discovery protocol, or cdp is all the great. I'm not saying it's bad either, it's a neat protocol. Cdp can leave your network susceptible to attacks and whatnot. What are your guys thoughts?
Currently reading Network Warrior

Comments

• Options
    merc.man87merc.man87 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unless you know who your neighbor is on your WAN. I'd say disable it on the public facing interface. But on the 'inards' of your network, it's the best!
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    CDP/LLDP comes in handy often. Just disable on the WAN and if you really need, user ports.
  • Options
    StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
    elderkai wrote: »
    CDP/LLDP comes in handy often. Just disable on the WAN and if you really need, user ports.

I'm gonna have to agree with you there. I guess when I asked this question I was thinking of like, a really large enterprise internetwork. In this case I was thinking that would be alot of cdp traffic.
    Currently reading Network Warrior
  • Options
    tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    I think you should disable CDP globally but enable it when you are troubleshooting something and it could some in handy. Same goes for LLDP. You are really giving away a lot of usable information for hackers.
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    CDP and LLDP messages are only a few hundred bytes in length typically. When links between devices is usually aggregates of 10G/40G links, the overhead overhead of these is minimal.

These protocols are also a godsend in lieu of bad/missing network diagram. But like everyone above me has said, disable them on ports connecting to non IP phone hosts and on public facing interfaces.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CDP is useful. For example, I could plug a Laptop [with Wireshark] into a wall jack and within a few seconds know exactly where its connected (Device Name and Port Number), Plus the Model of the Switch, IOS is running on it, IP Addresses, Native VLAN, and VTP Domain. Alot faster and easier than tracing a wire.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Like others have said, I would keep CDP enabled on the trusted network. Then simply disable it at the untrusted edge of your network. (And by untrusted edge I am referring to the internet edge or where you Cisco equipment connects to another companies equipment.

CDP is extremely useful when troubleshooting and with LLDP's adoption rate it makes it that much more useful if you troubleshooting connections to ESXi hosts since you can easily verify which connection is where.

Also if you happen to be working within a Data Center & Nexus 5k, certain DCBX parameters are exchanged via LLDP so it becomes quite important in certain situations.

Thist guide is a bit older, but many of the references are still sorta valid. It's definitely worth a read through
    Cisco Guide to Harden Cisco IOS Devices - Cisco
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's pretty useful for VoIP too :D
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Going to put this here too:

I was watching IPexpert youtube videos for fun today and found this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbrIyUQWg8&list=UUKfNWxQnLgKiOSbukZXxoLQ

I guess you learn something new every day. I think keeping CDP but filtering insecure information is a great way to keep it on for administrative ease while reducing your security risk.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Iris, great find :)
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...