Options

Resume review for a newbie, please?

CannibalpriestCannibalpriest Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm in the process of moving to Seattle, and want to start looking for an entry level position in enterprise IT as I
get there. Based on my previous experience I'm really looking at help desk, I don't feel qualified or capable at
this moment for anything more then that. I just want a job where I can learn all I can learn, build upon my
resume and move on past help desk and work towards a specialization.

At this point I'm unsure what to do about a skills section. On LibreOffice it says I'm already taking up a full
page, something I didn't want to go past, and I'm unsure what to put there. As far as all of my skills I can back
up with professional experience I have listed under my previous job description. Other then that the majority
of my skills lie within the objections of the certifications I have, so I don't know if it's an assumption based on
my certifications or I should list things such as "Able to configure DSL/Cable modems" and "Working knowledge
of simple printer issues". I also fear adding too much, for instance I'm in the proccess of studying for the
Linux+ certification and have some minor linux skills. Though I don't want to add that for fear of overselling
myself. Any tips and advice is appreciated, my resume is listed below. Thanks! Sorry for the odd formatting, something happened when I transfered the text from LibreOffice

OBJECTIVE
:

• To obtain a position in the IT field with a company where I will be able to utilize my education to contribute to the departments operations and build more knowledge to further my abilities.

CERTIFICATIONS:

• Comptia A+ 12/21/13
  • CompTIA Network+ 2/27/14
  • CompTIA Security+ 3/28/14

WORK HISTORY
:

Insert Mom and Pop Shop Here,
Raleigh, NC (9/13 - Present)

Computer & General Electronics Technician

• Performed computer maintenance, malware removal, hardware replacement, OS installations/troubleshooting, data recovery, and trained customers on preventative measures.
  • Installed and configured SOHO networks on-site at the customers location.
  • Diagnosed electrical problems with LCD and plasma televisions and determined components that needed to be replaced.
  • Configured IP security cameras and independent security camera systems.
  • Kept inventory of parts in stock, and determined efficient ways for storage of various components.
  • Explained issues in a clear form to customers when picking up and dropping off their device.
  • Maintained and ran Ebay store selling spare and used parts.

McDonalds,
Raleigh, NC (3/13 - 9/13)

Crew Trainer

• Front facing role taking orders directly from customers, and resolving issues in a professional manner.
  • Trained new and incoming crew in basic tasks and company policy.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    First, I would list Linux+ and say currently pursuing or something similar to show what you are currently working towards. You will not be expected to know the entire material as you have not attained the certification yet. This also shows the desire to continue learning....listing a test date is acceptable as well if you have booked and say you are testing on XX/XX/XX.

Your current position should not be past tense if you are 9/13 - Present. Perform not performed...etc and once you leave the position having an end date you can change to past tense. The second bullet needs corrections to either at the customer's location, or at customer locations.

Add any leadership activities that you sought out if you have any. Also, I like the idea of a table listing applications, operating systems, programming languages, etc. that you know.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    well the Mcdonalds one. I would remove the front facing customer thing. Focus on the higher up things you did there, then stretch it a little.
    So training new employees, troubleshooting POS systems (did you do this? probably to some low level extent, remmber you were the go to computer guy at mcdonalds because you knew the stuff, so you were able to resolve most issues before having a tech come on sight... RIGHT!??)
    How about, resolving customer complaints and providing overall satisfaction. etc. Mcdonalds sucks on a resume. Sorry and no offense. But it does show you can handle the worst of the customers so you will probably be good with theirs. Find a way to stretch the truth but not too far, and keep it relative to the position you are applying to.

Thats my .02. Btw, about 6 months ago i applied to about 15 places with my resume. I got 2 job offers in one day, and 6 calls for an interview. I took one position and am doing great in it.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Please upload your resume in PDF or Word format please (preferably PDF). I can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)