choosing a programming language

rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
I got a question and was hoping you could help me :
I am gonna move to Canada In a year and I need to learn a programming language.I wanted to know besides Net+ and CCNA , which programming language will more likely lead to a job?
I appreciate your help

Comments

• Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey,

]A good few Networking positions around my area (Dublin) want Bash. I believe many NOC’s use Linux for logging and basic editing, and knowing Bash is useful.

I always knew Python was a good language for Network Engineers to know, but It only clicked to me why about a week ago figuring how closely linked python and Linux are (please someone correct me if im wrong!).

For that reason I am studying for the Linux+, its all mostly driven for my career in IT Networking.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    If we are talking about a job in networking, scripting is the answer. Like mentioned above, bash will be essential for a linux environment. If you are going to work on Windows - check out powershell.

And of course - Python. You just can't go wrong with Python.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what about java? i keep reading that java is an awesome language to learn. i ask because I plan to teach myself a language too just to have some basic understanding of programming.
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Java is a great idea, as is C++. If you're going to learn a language, it might as well be something C-based and object oriented. It'll give you a much better grasp of things than you'd get from learning a simple scripting language.
  • LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kimura410 wrote: »
    what about java? i keep reading that java is an awesome language to learn. i ask because I plan to teach myself a language too just to have some basic understanding of programming.

Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/14/07/08/1843237/python-bumps-off-java-as-top-learning-language
  • Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, cbt nuggets has an excellent Python course.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just because more people are learning Python, doesn't mean that its a better pick for job opportunities. I personally prefer Python, but there are tons of jobs out there for Java...and not nearly enough qualified people to fill those roles.

If you are looking to do support...Bash or Powershell - Both are awesome.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Linux environment: Bash
    Windows Environment: Powershell
    Just want to learn beginning programming? Python then another language but everyone pics up on different languages quickly.
  • rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks you all for information icon_thumright.gif