Options

WGU certification transfer question

moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I am new to TechExams, so hello! I have a question, I am interested in going to WGU. Here is my question, I have certifications and I know they will transfer them in if they are less than 5 years old. The certifications I have are the following:

Comptia:
A+, Network+, Server+, Security+

Microsoft:
MCP, MCDST, MCITP Desktop Administrator, MCSA 2003 and MCSE 2003.

When I took the A+, Network + they were lifetime, so I was "grandfathered" in, but WGU is asking me to take them again because they are older than 5 years old. I got them in 2008. I have 7 years of work experience. Is there anything I can do so not to take A+, Network+ again, in my opinion, I already am a system admin, my experience is more valuable then those certifications. If anyone can provide me some feedback on their experience or maybe fill me in on a way to get those classes fulfilled with experience it would mean so much. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can take a higher level CompTia exam like Storage+ or Cloud+ and it will upgrade your A+ and Net+ to current as part of their Continuing Education Program.
  • Options
    Thank you! Would Project + count for this as well?
  • Options
    According to this site:

Top 10 FAQs in CompTIA

I do not see where it says what you mentioned. Can you provide me with a link?

I took my A+ and Network+ in 2008 so they are lifetime.
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Project+ doesn't update A+, Net+ or Security+ as it still never expires. I'm not sure about Storage+ or Cloud+.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It looks like I was wrong about Cloud+, but Storage+ or Advanced Security Practitioner should work for updating your A+, Net+ and Sec+.

CompTIA Continuing Education Program
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'd really have to ask the school on this one. Being current, and being within 5 years are 2 different things. Worst case, just take the A+ and N+ again, if you've got solid experience and have done them before it shouldn't be too difficult.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    I had a lifetime A+ and N+. After taking S+ Comptia showed them as new certs. At that point I applied to WGU which accepted them for credit.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will look into taking the CASP exam and go that route. @ Danielm7, I wouldnt mind taking the exams over again, I honestly just do not feel like forking out the money out of my pocket.