Options

Potential job offer

cloud802cloud802 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have an offer from what seems like a decent company for a system administrator position for a medium sized company. I like the benefits package and I might get to learn new technologies too. I'm currently working in security compliance right now and even though I believe the position is good, the benefits leave a lot to be desired.. I was worried about jumping away from security and having a hard time getting back in later. Does the pay range cap higher in the compliance field or systems field?

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My 2 cents...

Definitely stay on the security side. If your job sucks...stick it out for long enough to get some good documented experience and start applying for other security related roles. Not a whole lot of 6 figure positions for sys admin...tons of them in security.

2 more cents...

If you are going to stay in security auditing, get out of compliance when you can. People get burned out on it quick. But that's purely based on my preference...so to each his own.
  • Options
    Thanks NovaHax, I understand what you mean about being burnt out on doing compliance as I can see that happening to me after a while. What other roles could I land in the field with my auditing experience?
  • Options
    jumezurikejumezurike Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey can you help me here.

I got two job offers in security today. One with Target and the other with a LOCAL midwestern Bank (THIS OWN PAYS MORE) out here.
    I am having a problems choosing one. They both 6 figures. I will post the description for the two maybe you can help me choose one.

1. Bank.
    [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Security System Engineer Job Description

Supports security systems operations for security provisioning, event monitoring, updates for compliance updates or risk remediation efforts. Understanding of multiple technologies associated with security such as firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention, etc. Provides the technical expertise required to support Bremer’s business priorities and initiatives.

Essential Duties (Specific goals and measurable activities are included in each individual’s work plan document.)
    • Demonstrates basic technical skills and is trained/certified in security technologies and tools.
    • Works with other engineers and BITS staff to enhance security processes, review standards and support current and future security capabilities
    • Conducts analysis and implements recommendations affecting BITS security platforms
    • Supports event monitoring and management as detected via security systems
    • Supports the resolution of incidents and problems within the security systems when needed
    • Champions change and innovation, stimulation creativity and innovation in others.
    • May serve as a member of an on-call team.

Capabilities:
    • Hands-on experience and demonstrated expertise with security platforms and tools such as firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention and penetration testing
    • Familiarity and experience with integrating vendor systems and business applications with security standards and policies.

Complexity:
    • Strong analytic, interpersonal and communications skills.
    • Good problem-solving abilities.
    • Self-motivated and capable of working in a deadline-oriented environment.

The list above is representative of the essential duties for the job, but is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of duties required to perform in this role. As a member of the Bremer team, other duties may be assigned in order to fulfill Bremer’s mission, vision and strategic plan objectives.

Qualifications
    Required for consideration:
    • 2 year degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related discipline.
    • 2-5 years professional experience in security technologies.
    • Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with software, operations and QA engineers

Highly desirable candidates will also have several, but not necessarily all, of the following:
    • 4 year degree in Technology, Computer Science or related technology.
    • Appropriate certification.
    • Basic understanding of monitoring and performance measurements.

2. Retail Chain

Job Description:
    We are looking for a contractor to reconcile a list of IT assets provided by discovery scans with the data base of IT assets that exist in the Configuration Management Data Base. We need the contractor to create a repeatable process by which discovered assets can be added to the DB.

The skills that are needed are: Scripting (prefer Python or PHP, PowerShell is acceptable)
    SQL DB skills
    Experience extracting from a Vulnerability Management Tool, preferably Tenable

Areas of Expertise:
    Database search strategies 6 + Years
    Database storage, retrieval and customization Yes 6 + Years

Software Skills:
    Java 6 + Years (nice to have)

Additional Skills (a plus, not disqualifying if don't have these skills):
    Powershell scripting
    JSON (Java script Object Notation)
    Text file manipulation
    Knowledge of ServiceNow is a plus

Here is some additional information to help understand the realm of the position:
    SQL DB skills
    Python scripting skills
    Ability to pull data via Python-based APIs

If they’re familiar with Tenable vulnerability scans, all the better.

I really want to make my mark finally in Security which one should I TAKE thanks.

[/FONT]
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, looks like the bank is full time, where Target is a contractor position. Of course, Target is getting security-happy after their major breach last year. I'd take the bank one if it was me.
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    For cloud, I believe the IT Security field pays more in the long run. But I have seen some system engineers make above 100K.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would stay in security, but that's just me. Although I am a systems engineer in the 100k+ category, so it can be done.
  • Options
    Thanks I will continue looking for security roles. It seems that it would be harder to get back into security if I went the systems route because of the benefits the position offers
  • Options
    I see where u coming from. I wonder how long thé bank process will take. Tanks for ur advise.
  • Options
    Security jobs are not that easy to get. How manu years have u put into IT?
  • Options
    I mostly come from a Desktop/Jr Admin background for 4 years
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    cloud802 wrote: »
    Thanks NovaHax, I understand what you mean about being burnt out on doing compliance as I can see that happening to me after a while. What other roles could I land in the field with my auditing experience?

I work in GRC and sometimes I feel burnt out, but I think it's more because GRC is pretty static, whereas on the technical side of security, things are different each day, threats are always changing. That is attractive to me, but then I think just how easy my job is and that I can study for certs or my degree for half the day.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE

One of my worries was getting burnt out since it's static, once you know the steps there isn't going to be much change. That's why I was somewhat interested in the systems position because of the possibility of working with more technical task. I'm guessing I would have to find more technical security roles or at least a mix.

On this job now I can also study for my degree, especially since I only have 8 classes left.
  • Options
    That is very good you need at least 6 more years to gain any senior position in Security.