Why do you call your test writing or handing in a paper?

KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok this is gets to me. With Microsoft and CompTIA tests it’s all done electronically. Yet people on this board say they’re going to write or hand in their paper for the exam. WTF? The exam is all done on a computer. So why say your writing your exam?

Sorry I had to vent.

Comments

• shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Does it really matter? icon_confused.gif
  • KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope.. just seems weird why people say they're writing in or handing in their paper icon_lol.gif
  • paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    It's a "throwback" to something everyone can relate to.
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh. Is it an American thing?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    KernelXP wrote:
    Oh. Is it an American thing?
    Funny you should bring up nationality. The few times I've seen people on the USENET Microsoft certification newgroups say that they will be "writing" a particular certification exam have been from Europeans. I assumed it was the lingo over there.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I've even seen people refer to exams as "papers". “I'm going to write the CCNA paper…”, bla blah. It used to confuse me at first, but then I got accustomed to it somehow.

Nevertheless, I don’t write exams; I take them.

2lbs.

p.s. Isn't the author of the exam supposed to be the one writing them
    icon_rolleyes.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    p.s. Isn't the author of the exam supposed to be the one writing them
    icon_rolleyes.gif
    I've seen this question asked on the USENET newsgroups too, and there's never an answer. I assume that people who "write papers" have no idea why they call it that. From now on I shall "sit for my boards," but if you ask why I call it that I'll never give you an answer. icon_wink.gif
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think its just slang use of the English language.

I call it 'taking an exam' but I am not actually taking it anywhere. Its just what I say whet I do an exam.

I am also an Aussie by the way. So I guess like with everything different regions have different slang.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well I am not an Aussie, I grew up in the midwestern part of the U.S. Chicago actually and we always took exams. Never heard of writing an exam unless I was doing the creating of it. On the other hand Sit for a board exam is a common use as was stand for my orals.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I guess I haven't seen much of the phrases
    Yet people on this board say they’re going to write or hand in their paper for the exam.

Let alone pin it to the US. When I see uniquely written things, I mostly consider it a 'translation' into English as we have many on this international site who do not use English as their first language. (However, many of them write it better than I do ;) )

What I find a little amusing is that it is a 'rant' as you put it for yourself, to that I would say, why does it matter?

Should the few people who may have written "write an exam" or "paper" as you mentioned say that they are going to 'type an exam"? Perhaps even "Mouse an exam or click and exam" as the exams I have taken were likely all answered by a mouse click?

Personally, I fancy the phrases - "sit for an exam" or "take an exam" ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?