Options

Resigning with no notice?

Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
I've been at my current contract role for a few months now. I took it for strictly for an income. Haven't learned a thing nor made any new connections as co-workers don't really interact with each other. People here will sit and browse/Facebook ALL DAY. Anyhow the hiring manager from another company I interviewed with told me to expect an offer later this week. I would like to start ASAP as I'm sure it will be more challenging.

Should I quit with no notice or stay a bit? Obviously I wouldn't quit until I receive and sign the OL.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd quit with a notice, cant burn any bridges these days I reckon. You never know who knows whom. Have you got a 2 week or 4 week notice period? And is the new job likely to be okay to wait it out for your notice period?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Letting your future employers know that you would like to give your current company the standard two-week quit notice works both ways for you: it lets your future boss know that you are a conscientious employee, and you aren't burning any unnecessary bridges with your former employers.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At the very least you should give one week. Burning bridges can come back to haunt you.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Any reputable new employer will understand a notice.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sometimes burning bridges brings a level of satisfaction that you can't express with words. Been there done that only because it was a toxic environment and my physical and mental health were being adversely affected. Having said that, in you particular case I wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so true. I wish I could have done this with a couple of slave driver positions, but oh well =)
  • Options
    swellbowswellbow Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    Any reputable new employer will understand a notice.

Bingo. Don't be stupid. I'd definitely put in my 2 weeks ASAP, though.
  • Options
    Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Sometimes burning bridges brings a level of satisfaction that you can't express with words. Been there done that only because it was a toxic environment and my physical and mental health was being adversely affected. Having said that, in you particular case I wouldn't do it.

I hear ya. However, I don't have any bridges to burn. I don't foresee putting anyone from this role down as a reference in the future. Having said that, the most notice I can see myself providing to them would be a week.
  • Options
    geekgirl74geekgirl74 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would definitely put in a two week notice, but you could also let them know that you would be happy to go ASAP. Many times employers don't want to pay someone those last two weeks if they don't have to.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What happens when one of the guys that worked there becomes your boss at another company in two years? Never know. It could happen.

You certainly aren't required to give notice, but I would if there aren't any circumstances where you need to take off immediately.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The two week notice thing is burned into everyone's head by the establishment. Does every employer give two weeks notice before letting you go (read at will employment)?

That said, if there isn't any reason not to I would go ahead and give the notice, after you have a written offer in hand and a firm start date for the other position of course.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Success101 wrote: »
    I hear ya. However, I don't have any bridges to burn. I don't foresee putting anyone from this role down as a reference in the future. Having said that, the most notice I can see myself providing to them would be a week.

What do you stand to gain from not giving a reasonable notice to your current employer?
    If circumstances do not dictate the immediate need to leave them I would definitely do the respectable thing and give notice. It's not about your boss or coworkers it's about how you want to conduct yourself that is important.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    You don't owe them jack- believe me, they wouldn't offer you two weeks notice if they learned they didn't need you anymore.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a small world ... I ended up working with the same guy twice .. Having said all that - It can give massive satisfaction to walk out of a meeting and say "F** it - I am out" .. still waiting for that moment where I got the balls to do that ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Two week notice is good to do but people are right. If you live in at-will state and your not happy can just walk out.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I think everyone is allowed one walk-off and quit in life, but there are consequences....so plan accordingly.

The fact you state "you have not learned anything" though is on you, not your employer. There is ALWAYS something to be learned! Likewise, your coworkers spending their day on FB has little to do with you doing your best at your role. What have you done to improve the environment at this current job?

That stated, I do not recommend a mere "screw you, I got a new job approach" with the above situation.
    1. Similar industry
    2. We have a very global world and if you have not seen it yet, you will soon seem how many people know people in your circles, particularly as you get older.
    3. Once the offer is in hand and accepted, you have an opportunity to go to your current employer and help them get ready to replace you...the sooner that happens, the sooner you leave. No less than a weeks notice. Two would be best. They may be glad to be rid of you and let you go immediately? Could be beneficial for both parties.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    It's a small world ... I ended up working with the same guy twice .. Having said all that - It can give massive satisfaction to walk out of a meeting and say "F** it - I am out" .. still waiting for that moment where I got the balls to do that ..

I did it once...don't regret it one bit. I spent ~6 months in a crap environment, sole guy on call 24/7/365 for a distribution center that ran non-stop. I started being blamed for problems happening in another manager's department. When I called him out on it, he arranged a meeting with other department heads. None of them wanted anything to do with it, so they all sat in the meeting quietly waiting for it to be over.
    During the meeting, the exact issue that I had been harping on (one of his employees not staying at his station in order to keep all 2 miles of conveyors systems for the ENTIRE building moving) happened on the screen right in front of us. He had nothing to say to that, but he was still pissed.
    Tried talking to the Operations Manager afterwards, and he basically said he didn't care about our issues, figure it out on our own. Then an email came out saying all salaried people had to stay until 2 a.m. in order for us to finish (it was a Friday night). I grabbed all the documentation I had written about our systems (that only 1 other person even understood enough to operate/maintain) and walked out the door at 2:30 p.m. Had 14 missed calls and 6 voicemails by 7 p.m., but I was at a bar with a buddy celebrating. No job is worth the chest pains that one caused me, nor the $35k salary (I was the only manager at that level, everyone else was at $50k+. The explanation: I only had 5 employees, nevermind that I was the tech support for the entire building's AS/RS system, with roughly 38 cranes and 500+ employees).
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I agree with two week notice. Myself I'm in the process of moving onto a new job and I've been weening out the jobs that have a problem with me giving two week notice. For the most part all of them are understanding of a 2 week notice since I want to leave professionally and not burn any bridges.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Deathmage wrote: »
    For the most part all of them are understanding of a 2 week notice since I want to leave professionally and not burn any bridges.

This is a biggie, IMO. If a company doesn't want to allow you to give the customary and courteous two weeks, then how courteous will they be towards you? Granted, it may never become an issue, maybe they are just in a bind and really want someone fast, but for me it raises a little red flag...
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...