Options

Should I Major In Computer Science If Im Not Good At Math?

BAO321BAO321 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I love computers and programming but hate math, it's always been my weakest subject. Most schools I've seen require Calculus 1-3 for Computer Science majors. I know I will more than likely not use math in the career I want to pursue (Network Engineering) but I want the C.S degree because it is more valuable to employers.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly, if you can work hard and tough your way through it I would highly suggest that you major in Computer Science. I'm kicking myself for not majoring in Computer Science and I have the same issue as you (not a math guy). But if you ask a lot of people the math truly isn't the most important aspect. It has a place in Computer Science, don't get me wrong, but not every programmer is writing an algorithm.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Honestly, if you can work hard and tough your way through it I would highly suggest that you major in Computer Science. I'm kicking myself for not majoring in Computer Science and I have the same issue as you (not a math guy). But if you ask a lot of people the math truly isn't the most important aspect. It has a place in Computer Science, don't get me wrong, but not every programmer is writing an algorithm.

Hi Grinch, I'm curious to know why you regret not majoring in computer science? I have a friend that did and she said it was extremely hard and it took her 7 years to complete. She works as a Software Developer and says she should've did MIS because she wouldn't of had such a difficult time. Also, she works alongside other developers who have an MIS, so basically she thinks it doesn't make a difference...idk, what's your take?
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    MIS program differs from college to college. The MIS I did had little to no program, it was a program if the business school and no way would an MIS graduate from my school hold any water against a CS graduate in programming. I myself regret not going CS, even though I could handle calculus pretty well. =/
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't take one software developer's word that school takes 7 years because of math. Maybe try learning some stuff on khan academy on your own and see if it is as bad as you remember? I know in my wife's case she has just always thought she was terrible at math, one crappy teacher in grade school is enough to set your mind that way and you just go forward always assuming you suck. She did some work on her own and found it much better as an adult and learning in different ways.

There are lots of programmers with no degree at all, I know 2 people with MIS degrees, one is a full time fireman, the other works in HR, it isn't the same as a CS degree. Both of them are the type of people that can't hook up their own home printer and have trouble with their smartphones. Not to say that there aren't also super technical people who do MIS either, but from what I understand the coursework is very different.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll admit that things have changed where you don't see the Computer Science requirement to be a developer, but there are times where that is the only degree they'll accept for a job. Computer Science is honestly the essence of computing. You'll get into a deep level of how operating systems work and how networks perform their operations. Those two things alone make the degree worth it's weight in gold because a firm understanding of those foundations will allow you to troubleshoot just about anything. Also I see in just about every place I've worked where having some knowledge of coding makes your life a lot easier.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There were some articles released last year that said that Math, (even though some folks have inherent feeling that it's not their forte, and we just struggle with it) can be learned, and improved on just like everything else with steady practice and study.

I was dreadful in Math, growing up.. absolutely dreadful... but I have noticed.. especially when going for my CCNA 2 years ago and having to learn bit conversions and sub netting, that when i put a significant amount of time into it I picked it up like all the tech stuff I studied... There is a website, Khan's Academy.. that allows you to take free online courses in subjects like Math.. from basic math all the way up to Advance stuff... Maybe give that a whirl or 2 or 4 or 6 or 10... and then reevaluate if you still believe you will struggle.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

@Danielm suggest Khan as well. I used to to brush up on my Math when enrolling in WGU... just after 2 days I was able to feel comfortable, as outside of bills, I stayed away from math the last 13 years like it was the Plague.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    It has a place in Computer Science, don't get me wrong, but not every programmer is writing an algorithm.

+1. This.

Source: I majored in Computer Science, or as my university called it, CSCI.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    There's plenty of programming paths that don't necessarily require math... Take web development for example. That said, if you're going into a computer science program that requires Calc 1-3, I'd say you're setting yourself up for failure. I speak from experience.

Despite earning A's in trig, and pre-calc in High School, I did poorly in Calc I. It might have been because we were required to use "Mathmatica" for everything we did in that class, and I had to learn both the sytax required for it and figure out how to come up with the right answer using that program- but it was a strugle. I'm not saying it's impossible, but if you're weak in math now, it's not going to get any easier. I'd suggest brushing up on the fundementals first, and getting those down, and then coming back to calc once you feel comfortable.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    BAO321: I agree with the_Grinch entirely. I have a CS degree and I cannot stress enough how much it has helped me in my career. I have never done anything calculus related since I graduated. I am not the greatest at math either... but those were the classes where I got by with good enough grades.

I highly recommend you pursue a CS degree and while you are taking your math classes "Wolfram|Alpha" will be your best friend.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    The thing everyone seems to be missing is that the OP says he wants to pursue a career as a network engineer and not a software developer. A CS degree is not nearly as important for networking jobs as it is for development. If networking is your goal you're going to get more mileage from a CCNA then you would from your degree.

That's not to say a CS degree wouldn't be nice to have, but if you're certain you're going to bomb out on the math portion, then you're just going to waste your time and money before switching majors.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Math is more of a factor in Computer Science Engineering, but like others have said it depends on the college.

My advise is to work on it a little EVERYDAY to master it.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First question is - what's the highest math you've completed? Because, a Computer Science degree is not just starting and ending with Calculus for the math requirement. You'll have to be proficient in College Algebra and Trigonometry before you're admitted into Calculus because the skills build on one another. In addition to those classes some programs require Discrete Math.

What it comes down to is how bad you want it. If you know math is not your strong subject you're going to have to dedicate more hours of study outside of class to it. Most colleges offer a tutoring assistance program - I suggest you look into it if you decide to pursue a CS degree. Best of luck.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Take the math classes separately without enrolling in (and paying for if you are in the US) a full program. That way if you really can't handle the math, you're not completely screwed. The logistics of this would vary depending on where you are. For example you might be able to take calculus at a local community college and then transfer those credits into a CS program at another school.
  • Options
    TeKniques wrote: »
    First question is - what's the highest math you've completed? Because, a Computer Science degree is not just starting and ending with Calculus for the math requirement. You'll have to be proficient in College Algebra and Trigonometry before you're admitted into Calculus because the skills build on one another. In addition to those classes some programs require Discrete Math.

What it comes down to is how bad you want it. If you know math is not your strong subject you're going to have to dedicate more hours of study outside of class to it. Most colleges offer a tutoring assistance program - I suggest you look into it if you decide to pursue a CS degree. Best of luck.

I appreciate everyone's input. The highest level of math I completed is Algebra 2, I passed it with a B, I think. If not, then a C. But I didnt pass it my junior year which led to me having to retake it my senior year and with some study and hard work I actually passed it. Which leads me to believe that if I work hard and study like I did in Algebra 2 in Calculus 1-3 then I'll pass. But really, it was the teacher-- how do I know? Because the teacher who taught the Algebra 2 class that I failed is now fired because every single one of her students failed the exams this last semester. But yea, I didn't really take math seriously until my senior year (guess I was motivated to graduate), I have a 2.1 gpa(Because of math, all other subjects I absolutely aced) so I'll have to transfer from a community college to a university. I'm hoping I can strengthen my Math skills while at the community college by applying the same attitude I applied to it during my senior year.

The thing I've noticed though is that people say that they hate math without even looking at it or trying it. I'm studying Calculus 1 right now just to be on top of my game and Functions aren't as hard as I thought they would be. And plus, there are online resources that I can utilize, tutors who I can ask for help and I hope I can form study groups with students who are just as serious as I am about getting a CompSci degree.

I thought it was cliche that practice makes perfect but after actually applying this it really did, I just hope its the same for Calculus. And that Calculus isnt like another language that only the geniuses of this world cant understand.

I thought about just going for a Networking Technology associates degree too while getting certs like Network+, CCNA etc.., how valuable is it to employers?:
    http://www.waynecc.edu/networking/
    http://www.waynecc.edu/pdf/outlines/A25340.pdf
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I have a Math degree! People think I'm a genius.

Don't do Networking Technology. That's way too narrow. You should give Computer Science a shot.
  • Options
    Polynomial wrote: »
    I have a Math degree! People think I'm a genius.

Don't do Networking Technology. That's way too narrow. You should give Computer Science a shot.

In all honesty, I was never good at math because I always guessed and never tried-- just putting random answers and was too lazy to figure it out. No more of that.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can do the CS degree, then go for it! One of my best friends has a degree in math, and he said you just have to practice it a little each day. If you happen to not go for the CS degree I don't think your chances will be hindered much if at all anyway. The 5 network engineers at my job all have different degrees (IS, IT, CS, MIS, Computer Networking) and none of them think they're better or worse because they have a certain degree. They also have cisco certifications. It mainly all boils down to your aptitude to learn I think. Just practice and you'll do great.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I have a CS degree and the math that I had to take to achieve my degree was not extremely difficult. I had to take some Calc classes and some sort of math algorithms course, but I believe anyone can pass those classes with some work. I do not say this to scare you, but simply that if I could do it, then so can you.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I have a CS degree and the math that I had to take to achieve my degree was not extremely difficult.

Quoted for emphasis. This.

Oh, and mathway.com. Go look at that website.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i hate math, and thats why i didnt do CSC also...i decided to do CIS instead. We took most of the same classes as CSC majors, but they took more math & science classes, and we took business classes....

and most CSC programs require at least Calc 1&2, Stats, Linear Algebra, Physics(w/calculus too), and a few science classes...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From my own experience I've been in college for 10 years im working on my third degree in cyber security networking. The math part is the hardest for me and I always dread the classes. Thankfully I have some good friends who excel in math and always show me where I go wrong. We also have a great skills center at my school which I visit frequently. I just finished my last class and am now three semesters away from my bachelors degree. I don't think as networking cyber security major I will be using the high end math like calculus.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another CS grad here

Can you even get into a CS degree without good math scores? The competition was fierce 10 years ago when I went through and it's supposed to be even harder now.

You don't have to love math but you definately will have applied courses they're really not that much different or harder from math in any other undergrad courses. It's a resume booster for sure but being good at what you do is a better determination of future success than a piece of paper ever will be.